Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

93 festiva changed belt 3 times this month please help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 festiva changed belt 3 times this month please help..

i have a 93 festiva { no ac }and i have to change the v velt on it 3 times this month because everytime i change it it last around 5 days with out squiking. then i tigth the belt and the squiking stops for a few more days.i have owend the car 6 months and really love the car but cant figuire where the problem is ..if you have any help plese let me know thanks..new to festivas
    Mipulga

You should probably check the pulleys for any kind of roughness or anything that may cause the belt to wear out. Also, how tight are you tighting it?
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

buy a half inch shorter belt if you are tightening it all the way and it still squeaks with a standard belt

Comment

check all pulleys when the belt is off and make sure they are turning freely.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

also, check for an oil leak and check the crank pulley for runout.
          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

What belt are you using?
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
              You should probably check the pulleys for any kind of roughness or anything that may cause the belt to wear out. Also, how tight are you tighting it?
              i dont know how tigth the belt was put on there my friend does all my work on it but i will ask him....thanks
              Mipulga

Comment

napas belt
                Mipulga

Comment

Something ain't right. I have a hard time imagining how pulley alignment might become off but a mis-aligned belt would certainly be noisy and short-lived. Are you using the correct alternator and are the pulleys all of the same variety? Aspires for instance use serpentine belts instead of v belts and obviously the pulleys on the crank/waterpump/alternator are quite different. Good luck.

Comment

I'm guessing but I'd bet either the alternator or the water pump has a problem and is making the belt go bad.

Comment

I haven't been able to find the dimensions of the drive belt on the Interent. The last one I put in was a Power Torque 15350 (SAE standard J636). The one I took off has "SP AUTO-FLEX-N FM-35.2" written on it. Not very useful.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Just a hunch. If the bearings in the alternator are cooked or the water pump is worn out the resistance to turning would definitely wear out belts.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                          I haven't been able to find the dimensions of the drive belt on the Interent. The last one I put in was a Power Torque 15350 (SAE standard J636). The one I took off has "SP AUTO-FLEX-N FM-35.2" written on it. Not very useful.
                          The "power torque" belt should have been the same length as the "sp auto-flex", or at least dang close.

The #15350 was 35" long, designated by the 3rd and 4th digits.

The 35.2# in the second example designates allegedly 35.2" long.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                          X