Festiva won't start, what do I check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
    When the engine is rotated over by hand in the normal direction. The first mark to align up will be BTDC. The next will be TDC. BTDC= Before Top Dead Center. Hope that helps?
    I want to help you but yer getting me confused. :eeeeeek: There is a pointer that doesnt move. When the engine is rotated in its normal direction. The first "HASH MARK" on the pulley that aligns with this pointer. Thats where you set the timing. While its running of course. You are setting the dist to fire @ 5 deg BTDC. Does this make sense?
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Yep, I got it. I was getting confused by the two marks in the pulley. I will set the timing to 5deg off of the first mark.
      Chad
      1990 Tiva L - Yellow
      1995 Metro - SOLD...
      2002 F150 FX4 - Black
      1966 Galaxie 500XL - Black

Comment

Excellent,hope it helps you get towards your goal.

Comment

I thought I had my issues solved, but now I'm back to a no start. I drove the car around for a while and then tonight I swapped in my nice front seats. I had it running and then it started to idle rough and died. I tried to restart and it will catch for a few seconds and then it will die. I get the best luck when I out the Pedal to the floor when I crank it. Once it catches I can rev it real well, but it will not idle. Dies out and I can smell a rich fuel exhaust.
          Chad
          1990 Tiva L - Yellow
          1995 Metro - SOLD...
          2002 F150 FX4 - Black

Comment

Nevermind, unhooked an intake line while I was hooking up temp sensor. Runs good now.
            Chad
            1990 Tiva L - Yellow
            1995 Metro - SOLD...
            2002 F150 FX4 - Black

Comment

You guys are NUTS! Haha, I would have gone crazy if I had to diagnose the whole car, lol......... I get frustrated with hooking up a stereo or fog lights, let alone an entire build! I had to get help from someone to change my alternator (couldnt get the clip off without thinking I would break it!) and Mike (Sasquatch) had to change my hub, cause heck, I have no idea how that works!

Where do you all learn this stuff!?!?

Comment

One last thing. The car seems to get a little too hot before the fan comes on. My temp gauge is reading at 1/3 when warmed up. I did clean the temp sensor contacts and I have a good tight for with the plug. I did bleed out the coolant system and the upper rad hose is warm when the car is running.
                Chad
                1990 Tiva L - Yellow
                1995 Metro - SOLD...
                2002 F150 FX4 - Black

Comment

Originally posted by chadzeilenga View Post
                  One last thing. The car seems to get a little too hot before the fan comes on. My temp gauge is reading at 1/3 when warmed up. I did clean the temp sensor contacts and I have a good tight for with the plug. I did bleed out the coolant system and the upper rad hose is warm when the car is running.
                  Dont worry @ it.If the fan comes on your good. Unless you put a real temp guage in it or use a accurate infared you cant know for sure what its running at. I'd much rather have my car running on the warm side. As opposed to a car that doesnt ever hit operating temps.It takes a looooong time in the midwest regions for these little guys to really warm up.

Comment

Chad, glad you got your car running. I also had trouble with mine and with the help of the guys on here diagnoised it was my distributor. Hell of a bunch of guys on here and everybody appreciates your input. TY
                    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
                    X