CAT Mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save the cat. Replace it with pipe.
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

The universal remanu hi flow cats are cheap off e-bay. I paid 35.99 plus 10 for shipping.
      You would need it welded on though.
      91 Festiva, BP, auto
      69 Mercury Cyclone CJ, 428 SCJ, 4 spd

Comment

Deleted my cat today

Welded in a piece of 1.5" tubing in replacemant of the cat And put on a glass pack with new tail pipe.It sounds awesome! I can tell it lost a little back pressure.But it didnt affect the idle smoothness to bad.And it sounds really sweet when you drive it hard.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

What type/size resonator has been used? Anyone get one off e-bay.
          If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Look for civic "hi flow cat". Looks like the original equipment, but it's a glasspack, and bolts in. the flange might even work for you to make it easier to swap.

eBay.

Comment

49 state legal FTL. They wont even ship me one if i said it was for student research.
              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Get a po box outside cali. Actually, in your case, look for "civic resonator". Probably same thing, if they're still around.

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                  49 state legal FTL. They wont even ship me one if i said it was for student research.
                  Ship it to someone else (not in CA) and have them forward it on to you.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

as far as NC, goes, 93 models and back do not require an emissions test, so i'd go for straight pipe where the cat is. (you can check by going to the local dmv, or your states local inspection stations and ask them to be certain.
                    if you're just going to gut it, there's no point when you can just remove it all together and have a better exhaust sound and flow. if you're looking for improved flow of exhaust, grab a GOOD glasspack and put in the place of the cat, then grab a good resonator tip, or muffler tip then pop em in.
                    i'm currently running 2.5" pipe down, Thrush Glasspack (at the cat), then 2.5"mandrel bent pipe all the way back to a 3A Racing exhaust muffler. this set up sounds pretty good coming out of the stock B3. not sure how it will sound on a different motor, but i'm pretty sure it'll sound BETTER if your motor is bigger.

on top of losing one of the worst cats ever, along with decreased flow, you gain efficiency, and performance. this set up gave me an increase of about 5 HP, and about 9 mpg extra. plus losing the cat or straight piping decreases the opportunity for "back-flow".
                    Fesdiva is it's new name since she's acting crazy- 92 L

Comment

I may be wrong, but isn't a cat. converter mandtory by fed. law? thats the only reason I'd want to gut it .
                      If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

well, i'm not sure about that. but i do know, that if your vehicle falls in the back dated class (for 2012 its 1992 and back), then an emissions test isn't required. my understanding is that if you don't have to pass emissions, then you don't need a cat (emissions test ensures that your cat is working properly). i'd say since the year of the car has to be 10 less than the current year, they (gov't) assumes you've either bought a new car, or yours(wasn't working) was replaced...plus, you could always get a new universal cat, grab some v clamps(for easy con/disconnect) and plug the cat in when you need it. and when you're not using it vclamp the straight pipe back in..

i've yet to be told to put a cat back on my car, and i've had it inspected 3 times since i removed it. but, i don't know for sure about it being mandatory by fed. law. and beyond that your local city, county, and state laws are only ones who "regulate" cars on a local level...

anyone else know about it being required?
                        Fesdiva is it's new name since she's acting crazy- 92 L

Comment

Yes tampering with (or removing) emission controls devices is a violation of FEDERAL LAW. If caught your car will get impounded and you'll face HEFTY fines (I believe it's $25,000 per violation).

Simply put if your car is 1970 or newer is MUST have the emissions control devices installed at the factory... if it had a cat from the factory then it MUST have a cat now.

Just because where your live doesn't have emissions tests doesn't make it any more legal to eliminate your cat. Same goes if your car is emissions exempt. Just because it does not need to be tested doesn't mean it's legal to bypass the emissions systems.

Now will you get caught? Well that's a different story but I can say this - the more that kids are going around with "fart can" mufflers and racing exhausts on their Hondas and Mitsubishis the more they are checking for this sort of thing...

Comment

^^^Well put.

We do not have emissions testing in NE, and no one even cares if my car has the emissions equipment or cat in place or not. That said, it is still next to impossible to find an exhaust shop that will let your car through the door if the cat has been removed. From what I've been told, there are actually Fed inspectors that drop by the exhaust shops occasionally and check.
                            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

i just welded the stock heat sheild around a piece of pipe... looks legit enough
                              I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X