Clutch Return Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Return Spring

I got in my Festy this morning, pushed the clutch in, heard a pop and now my clutch pedal doesn't bounce back up. The curved end of the return spring is on the floor while the rest of it is hanging from the pedal. How is this thing supposed to be attached and where can I get a new spring?

Anybody? I need to get this thing fixed!

Comment

I am not a 100 percent sure but I don't think you need that spring to drive it. The springs that hold the clutch engaged are on the pressure plate. Unless a site member has one you will have to go to the pick and pull.

Comment

Bunjee cord!
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Yea, I'm driving it, I just don't like how the pedal doesn't come all the way back up!

Comment

I could probably find a spring that would work, I just have no idea how its supposed to be hooked up.

Comment

A flashlight and 2 ibuprofen for the backache of looking up under the dash.
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I think it insure's that the TO bearing is fully retracted off the pressure plate fingers.In theory the bearing could ride constantly on the fingers.Which isnt the greatest thing in the world
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Yea, it sucks looking up under there, ha

Comment

Do you want one?

Originally posted by 88FestivaLX View Post
                    Yea, it sucks looking up under there, ha
                    I can dig up an extra if you like.PM me if you want,we'll work out the details.Jus curious.How far r you from Sharpsburg? I've got a friend there that works at Delta Airlines.
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I'm probably 4 hours from there. I'm going to see if I can find a spring in the Help section at the parts store. If I can't, I'll def get back with you. My only problem is that I have no idea where its supposed to attach. Anyone wanna take a pic of one thats still where its supposed to be?

Comment

Impossible for me to photo the location of the spring under the dash but it's a fairly substantial item about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch in diameter. The pedal setup on Aspires and Kia Rios appears to be similar or identical so maybe you can find one of these to inspect and scavenge the spring from. Good luck.

Comment

Here you go. From my 1991 Festiva factory manual. Looks like its only function is to keep the pedal up when you're not using it. You could get by with a bungee cord until you can get around to the proper fix.

Last edited by TominMO; 12-02-2011, 11:01 AM.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Nice! Now what does it attach to? ha. So it sits up there parallel to the dash right?

Comment

Yeah, that pivot bolt goes thru it. Looks like it doesn't actually "attach" to anything; the two ends will sit against some protrusions made for that purpose. You can see that there is also a similar return spring for the brake pedal.
                              Last edited by TominMO; 12-02-2011, 11:02 AM.
                              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X