WHAT AM I MISSING?! Crank, no start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT AM I MISSING?! Crank, no start.

So yesterday I was driving along happy go lucky. Cruising right along at 50mph. Then it just dies. No sputtering or anything, just flat out dies. NO electricity at ALL.

Found that the main fuseable link had fell apart, so I replaced them with the fuses. Grinded down the tabs best I could on the side of the road under windy 30* conditions.

Now it cranks and won't start. No CEL when key is 'on'.

Other wonky behavior- The seat belt keeps twitching but won't actually cycle.

WTF!??!?!

Fuses in the drivers' kickpanel are good.... am I missing some other engine fuse?
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Wondering about the connection at the fuses.

You did use the long legged cartridge fuses?

Might have to hit the connectors with WD40 and use a womans nail file/ emery board to clean those tabs up!

Are the connection to the tabs themselves good?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Yes I used the long ones. They fit in there great. I used a emery board best I could get them without standing tthere for 5 hours. wd40 is a good idea.....

I just want to get it running even just a little to limp it home and in the garage so I can rebuild that whole fuse block thing. It's FQ$#%#G COLD!!!
      Buck.
      -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

When you turn the key to "on" position, not start, do any of the red "idiot light" come on?
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

sorry i cant help you figure out how to get it home, but pm me if you need a fuse box. I got a 93 im starting to take apart.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8SilV257aM

1999 SVT Lightning #1212
          1993 tube chassis Festiva 351w (shooting for the 9s)
          1980 Maples jet boat 455 olds
          1991 Chevy custom one ton dually
          1988 Mustang N/A 385 w/doug nash 9.88@137 (sold)
          2001 GSXR-1000 turbo lowered & extended (sold)
          1988 S-10 468 BBC lowered & body dropped (sold)
          on & on

Comment

I'm thinking battery connection ? Maybe a combo deal . The connection was weak causing fuse link to over load .
            New build on the way .

Comment

^ +1, and check your EGI fuse as well (one of the 30A units) for corosion/dirt.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'd go so far as to check the battery too. Even if all your connections are solid, a low battery can give you a hard time after you've corrected everything else, especially in the cold.
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Battery is brand-spanking-new as of Wednesday, alternator new as of last weekend.

Maybe steel wool the battery hoops and somehow the tabs?

When the key is 'on', the check engine light is NOT on like it should be, battery light is dim, other red ones(oil, seatbelt) are full bright.
                  Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                    Battery is brand-spanking-new as of Wednesday, alternator new as of last weekend.

Maybe steel wool the battery hoops and somehow the tabs?

When the key is 'on', the check engine light is NOT on like it should be, battery light is dim, other red ones(oil, seatbelt) are full bright.
                    Hope you got it home ok. Look at my Link repair in my sig,if it helps.
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Hokay, now I'm getting pissed. I spent over an hour cleaning up the fuseable link tabs and the battery cable hoops to PERFECT BEAUTIFUL COPPER and it made absolutely no difference.

PLEASE answer the following-

THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is NOT lit when the key is in the ON position.... it normally IS. WHAT CONTROLS THIS? It's likely the issue, and it's obviously not the links..... (what fuse does the ECM!?)

The seat belt is still screwy.... it's stuck in the forward position and won't retract. ALTHOUGH it is TRYING. What is the issue here? Related? Because it worked fine before this whole ordeal....

UUUUGGGGGHHHHH
                      Buck.

Comment

Relay somewhere??
                        Buck.

Comment

Anyone? :/
                          Buck.

Comment

You need to do the fuel/spark check ritual. Hope you're not still stranded.

Comment

Yes I'm still stranded, and it's obviously not getting gas because the ecm doesn't seem to be getting power as evidenced by no check engine light.

Soo what powers the ECM? is there a fuse or relay I'm missing?
                              Buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X