No announcement yet.

Do you block the radiator in winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cover the rad but I also block the center air vents from under the bezel. Seems no matter what you do there is always cool air coming in there.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

You know, I also wonder about the valve that opens and closes the coolant flow into the core? If every thing else is fine and this isn't working, you still wont get heat. Anyone ever find this valve to have failed,become disconnected from the slide controls, or maybe clogged?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
        I just don't understand any of this! When it gets cooold here my heat is fine. ;}
        Just fill your tank and driver north my friend!
        Keep driving till you find the land covered in white stuff locally known as snow.
        Then lets see if your "heat is fine"!:p
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Well, in my other post about a rad cap, I'm wondering if when my car got about halfway up the gauge Saturday with the rad blocked if I cracked the radiator. I'm getting no pressure when "hot" but the water level isn't dropping either. I'm renting a pressure tester Wednesday to check my daughters Exploder cooling system, I'll check the Festy too.
          1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
          1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
          1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
          2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
            Just fill your tank and driver north my friend!
            Keep driving till you find the land covered in white stuff locally known as snow.
            Then lets see if your "heat is fine"!:p
            No thanks. I've been to maine at Chrismas one year in my Toyota & it was cold enough for me. Think I'll stay in FL. You are welcome to drive down here
            If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

I have an 88LX that never gets to temp. I never looked into it but did run with cardboard blocking most of the rad. at least one winter. It made a fair difference. Of course, I forgot it was there in the spring until I wondered why the gauge was climbing...DOH! My 89L works great, gets heat in a couple miles. I guess I have a car for summer and a car for winter...

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                Well, in my other post about a rad cap, I'm wondering if when my car got about halfway up the gauge Saturday with the rad blocked if I cracked the radiator. I'm getting no pressure when "hot" but the water level isn't dropping either. I'm renting a pressure tester Wednesday to check my daughters Exploder cooling system, I'll check the Festy too.
                I checked the Festy rad, my hose clamps on the engine were weak and it was dripping at the t-stat housing and the water pump.

I put some worm drive clamps for now, I'll replace the hoses probably this weekend.
                1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

mine over heats, I poured water into the radiator and it is still in there just boiling, coolant boils too anyone know how to fix my over heating problem

Comment

Originally posted by Top Tier Mafia View Post
                    mine over heats, I poured water into the radiator and it is still in there just boiling, coolant boils too anyone know how to fix my over heating problem
                    Depends on why it's overheating. Could be the rad is clogged, or the thermostat is stuck closed or partially closed, for example. If you do end up getting a new rad or even just cleaning out the old one, flush the heater core both directions, install new hoses (all 5--there is a tiny bent one under spark plug #4), and a new 190+ degree thermostat. That should keep you from having to address heating/cooling issues for quite a while.

For that little bent hose, take the old one to a McParts and compare it to what they have. You will probably have to buy something longer with the proper bend, and just cut to fit.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum BTW.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 07-31-2015, 02:10 AM.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I have a sheet of acrylic blocking the entire front during the winter. Have a 4inch wide separate piece on a hinge in front of the rad so i can flip it down when it gets warm, up when it gets cold. But my rad is beat so i have to take it all out for summer.
                      The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that you dont put cardboard or anything else directly in front of or contacting the radiater. You need some space in front of it so that if the fans need to turn on it can still move air.
                      I have replaced the coolant, rad cap, water pump, thermostat, and heater core on my festiva and still no heat when it gets cold. Lots of heat when its hot out, but not when its cold...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X