Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAF or TPS

Hi

So I have been reading some of the various threads and I am leaning towards the VAf, but wanted to see what you all think..so here is the situation:

After my efi 93 Lplus festy is warmed up (ie after driving on the expressway for ~ 20 miles at about 50mph), when I get off of the expressway and start doing local driving the following happens when I am sitting at lights:

The idle gets very rough and starts fluctuating pretty badly. It might stabilize for a few seconds, but eventually starts fluctuating again. If I sit at a light with my foot firnly on the brake with the car in drive eventually it stalls out. Although it stalls out it will start right back up, but if the light is still red then I usually try to lighten up on the brake or put my foot on the accelerator so the car will very slowly roll forward and this seems to keep it from stalling out again OR I put it in park and then right when the light changes green, put it in gear and put my foot on the gas immediately to keep it from stalling out again. This only occurs after the car is warmed up.Car drives just fine as long as a I am moving regardless if I am on local or expressway streets.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a vacuum leak, clogged idle valve, or bad ECU temp sensor to me. But I don't know Festy EFI all that great
    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
    High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
    Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Ok..thanks Rocketman I will investigate that also..any other thoughts out there?

Comment

I have a simalr situation and I just broke my temp sensor in the head so that is a main part of my problemplus I need to check the idle control as well. My vacuum lines look okay but I should run leak test on them so I cover all the bases.
        NTRCOOL

1993 Ford Festiva GL
        1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix x2
        1989 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix
        1990 Cadillac Fleet-wood Brougham
        1987 Buick LeSabere T-Type
        1980 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency coupe
        1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Aeroback coupe

Comment

My EFI engine 'loped' routinely at idle until I started fussing around with the dashpot adjusting screw. Instant cure in my case.

Comment

in your case it sounds like either a temp related vac leak, OR your base idle is set too low.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
            X