No announcement yet.

Complete roof and piller replacement .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete roof and piller replacement .

Has anyone done this ? I know it will destroy the structural integrity of the car ,but that's already Damaged . I have seen it done on other vehicles ,but not on a festiva .
    I've been looking through maxtiva's build and wondering how exactly he fixed his .
    I will have to replace the rear posts as well ,I have an unlimited supply of parts so that's not the issue .
    New build on the way .

If your talking about a roof swap, all you have to do is remove all the glass, cut the bottom of the pillars. being careful incase any wiring runs through the pillars. then weld the new one in and grind and body filler. replace the glass. That is just the lamens version. There are probably wires for the antenna and dome light for sure.

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

I have done at least three of every swap there is (except the v6 ,and Damkid can have the glory there ) from complete harness replacement engine swap to the ,engine blew on the way home from work drove the car the next morning with a new engine . It's not the know how its the should I ?
      The car held up great in a roll over ,I wanted to keep it as close to original is I can , but don't want to sacrifice strength .
      I can not stand body work so that will be favored out . The way things look I will be changing the shell ....
      New build on the way .

Comment

Hope you can get something worked out. Post pics when you can! Wanna see the carnage
        "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Sorry man but you don't want to see it . It's like seeing a fallen great warrior . It's been two days and I'm just now able to look at it .
          New build on the way .

Comment

I'd put inserts inside the pillar welds for strength.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Do it all the time in Body shops, the biggest thing is getting the cuts exactly where they need to be, then put a piece of metal inside the pillars (gives you a surface to weld to and helps prevent blowing through) and weld completely. Then a little bondo (unless youre an awesome metal finisher) primer and paint.

If done right strength is not an issue (the repair should be the strongest part of the car) but fitment is tricky (windows and doors all have to fit perfect). but i can be done and is done frequently.

Comment

Now that is good information. Thanks
                New build on the way .

Comment

i want to see some pics.... ill show you mine you show me yours.. There like baseball cards.
                  1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

After the new roof and pillars are done, the crucial fit would be at the windshield. They not only have to fit well, but are a stressed part of the car and contribute to body rigidity. Mess up here and you might crack the windshield, I imagine. The door area and the rear side windows aren't as critical for fit. A few millimeters off probably wouldn't hurt too much.

If that happened to me I'd think about a "golf cart" or off road "buggy" conversion. That would be a lot easier to manage and less work.

Karl
                    Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-17-2011, 06:49 PM.
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by rockin86ranger View Post
                      Do it all the time in Body shops, the biggest thing is getting the cuts exactly where they need to be, then put a piece of metal inside the pillars (gives you a surface to weld to and helps prevent blowing through) and weld completely. Then a little bondo (unless youre an awesome metal finisher) primer and paint.

If done right strength is not an issue (the repair should be the strongest part of the car) but fitment is tricky (windows and doors all have to fit perfect). but i can be done and is done frequently.
                      Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
                      i want to see some pics.... ill show you mine you show me yours.. There like baseball cards.

I really didn't want to show my falling hero ,but it did save my life .
                      New build on the way .

Comment

Glad you are OK! Hulk can be saved. What caused the accident?
                        Jerry
                        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by bebandit View Post
                          Glad you are OK! Hulk can be saved. What caused the accident?
                          I really hope you are correct .
                          Cause. ??? Ice. God. Gravitational flow ?????? I truly dont know ????
                          New build on the way .

Comment

Man, that is rough to see. Glad it stayed strong and held up for your safety!
                            "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

That's a good picture lanemeyer .... HULk. That's all I need to say .........
                              New build on the way .

Comment

Working...
                              X