Rack & Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack & Pinion

So I'm in the middle of a B6-DE swap, got the motor and trans yanked out, and see that there's nothing left of my cv's, controls arms, and rack & pinion bellows... Literally, nothing. I got all new stuff, but the only replacements for the bellows I can find (RockAuto, API, Advanced Auto Parts, BapGeon) are for Festivas with power steering, and I'm no expert, but there's definitely no PS pump on the car, and I've never seen a stock Festiva with PS... So what gives? Can I use these bellows just the same, or do I need to go ahead and drop $300 on a whole new rack & pinion?
    From under the car, it comes out:

żlləɥ əɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I just use the cheap $6 shock boots from Autozone or wherever. Couple of Zip ties also

Has the real parts on sale for $15 also...
    Last edited by mikeand; 12-27-2011, 05:04 AM.
    1991 Smoketiva - 306k
    1997 Jeep Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker
    2004 Sebring

Comment

Run the rack back and forth and clean it up real good, use a little boat trailer wheel bearing grease or similar then pretty it up with the new boots.
      The cv's, same drill but use cv grease , it should be with the boot kit. Force it
      through the cv and use the whole tube or bag in the joint, packing both sides.
      I would just get new control arms and tierod ends, they are cheap.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

festys rarely came with P/S, but the boots are the same for all years/models.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I recently installed a pair of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-2-Manual...-/150720055045 I was a tad skeptical since I haven't heard anyone mention that any Honda boots work, but they're very nice. Much better than what came from the factory. Rubbery, not plastic-y

Comment

Originally posted by Pgh5spd View Post
            I recently installed a pair of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-2-Manual...-/150720055045 I was a tad skeptical since I haven't heard anyone mention that any Honda boots work, but they're very nice. Much better than what came from the factory. Rubbery, not plastic-y
            +1 i got these and they fit awesome mine came with some metal clamp but i used a zip tie instead
            91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
            06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
            95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I buy mine from RockAuto.com, they are listed for Festys and Aspires. $15 IIRC.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I too just purchased the ebay ones listed above, rubber is better than plastic anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Rockford View Post
                  I too just purchased the ebay ones listed above, rubber is better than plastic anyday.
                  In what way? I think the plastic ones will last a lot longer.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

My car only has 127k on it and the stockers are torn to shreds... plastic gets hard and then breaks, I've been working on cars for 20+ years and I think I'm seen enough of each to make my decision

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Rockford View Post
                      My car only has 127k on it and the stockers are torn to shreds... plastic gets hard and then breaks, I've been working on cars for 20+ years and I think I'm seen enough of each to make my decision
                      The funny thing is the "rubber"ones aren't even rubber they are likely TPO (ThermoPlastic Olefins) and only slightly different in composition from the "plastic" ones which are likely PE (Polyethylene) or an alloy of PE/PP(Polypropylene). They are all plastics.
                      FYI if they were rubber they would be susceptible to heat, UV, and Ozone degradation and likely fail faster than the "plastic"ones.

It's like the guy I asked in the Lowe's what kind of plastic was used in the "instrument" cluster of the riding lawn mower. He replied "hard" plastic!
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

FMS

Finally got hold of someone at Festiva Motor Sports, ordered a bunch of stuff, including the $15 boots, and I'm happy with them - perfect fit! Just wish they were green...
                        From under the car, it comes out:

żlləɥ əɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Comment

Working...
                        X