Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine stalls at 8 degrees BTDC

good day!

my engine stalls @ 8 degrees BTDC...so, im in 10-11 degrees for now but im not satisfied...when your running any in the 1st to fifth gear, when you decelerate in about 20 kph the engine has no engine brake ..it's like its going to die or engine will stop.so, when i decelerate when im in 20 kph i will step on the clutch so that the engine will not die.. .how was that?vacuum leak?this was happen when i set the ignition timing to 10-14 degrees BTDC..but before it is set to more retard something like that..
    "i am the difference":cheers:

Need more information..is that Kia your car?
    There are an awful lot of problems that
    advanced timing will mask.

Does it miss?
    does power suffer?
    did it happen suddenly?
    Any warning dash lights on?
    age and mileage?
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

something like a missed fire..dont have power in accelaration..its a 1995 kia pride (carburated)..this was happen when i set the igntion timing to 8 deg..so i set it to 10-11..no warning on the dash..mileage is ok..im in 16-18 km/liter consumption..also the muffler smells more unburned gas..my a/f mixture set to more air, bcoz when i set it to 2.5 turns it has more smoke coming out..my carb right now is a brandnew 4k carb double barrel..HTW is new..sparkplug (denso) is more or less 1 year already(it's a cheap one)..igniton coil already old..the timing set up before is in retard..so when i got a timing light is set it to 8 deg..but when i drove it, its not too good..so i decided to put in 10-11 deg..but it stalls when i decelerate,no engine brake in 20 kph less..is there something in carb,coil or sparkplug maybe that is failing?one thing,when i put it to 1st gear and run the engine will vibrate..is it a clutch slipping?

sorry for my english..thanks!

Comment

timing belt skiped a tooth?
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

My first thought was skipped a tooth too. It sounds like a lot was done to try to compensate for the problem, rather than fixing the original problem itself. Check the valve timing and correct if needed. Then reset the a/f ratio and ignition timing to stock and start over.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Do the directions for setting the timing on the hood sticker say anything about
            shorting a connector ? When you short it can you hear the idle slow down?
            If it does not slow down the TPS may not be in the idle position, this will
            cause the computer to remain advanced when you are setting the timing
            and you will read the proper setting but it is not true, you are really setting
            it 10 -20 deg retarded.
            This needs to be checked as well as the advise given above before we
            consider more! Good job!

Comment

Don't think it has a TPS. Carb.

Comment

no tps sir..
                iv'e triple check the timing belt..i think no skipped on the tooth bcoz still in the timing mark and the pentel pen mark on the belt.. i will change my disty cap,rotor,ignition coil,spark plugs the old ones..maybe the culprit is in here..one more thing,i install 2 line up fuel filter with a distance of 10-12 inches from each other..iv'e noticed last night that the 1st fuel filter is not full of gas {1/4 only) but the second one that is close to the fuel pump is full..any relation to my problem?

Comment

You only need one fuel filter, if the second filter isn't full, you may not be getting enough fuel to the engine under load or accelerateing. Try removing the second filter, double check the hood sticker for the base timing. The EFI Festivas are 10 deg base timing with the short connection grounded to eliminate computer changing it while adjusting. I'm sure with the vaccum advance distributer there is procedures that need to be followed to set base timing.
                  Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                  93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                  91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                  93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                  15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                  88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

also, don't trust your pen mark on the belt, use the crank and cam gear markers to determine the cam timing.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

what i did are aligned the timing cam gear and crankshaft mark to the mark on the belt..so, if ever it will jump i will notice it..

Comment

If it has vacuum advance, make sure the vacuum advance is working.
                        Follow the under hood sticker up through idle speed set.
                        Do a lean drop test on the carb, it should be 50 to 100 RPM
                        At steady idle add fuel such as propane, the idle should speed
                        up 50 to 100 before it gets too rich and starts to slow down.
                        If it raises much more than that the problem is in your carb
                        or there is a big vacuum leak. Once the fuel mix is correct do
                        all the settings on your sticker from beginning to end.

Comment

i'll be going through this coming weekend..
                          by the way, what's the purpose of the screw at the top of vacuum advancer?
                          thanks again guys!

Comment

Post a pic but I think you are talking about the limit screw??
                            adjusts maximum vacuum advance.

Comment

Working...
                            X