No announcement yet.

What else should i check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the timing cover on my festy is seperated from the engine, not but much like less than a 1/4 of an inch, but you can actually see down in there enough to see the "gears" (or whatever they are called, maybe crank pully, or cam gear, anyway its on the left side of the engine and looks like some sort of sprocket) so i had my dad watch for it to turn as it was clicking and he said it was so i took that as a sign as it wasn't locked up. i could upload a pic of what im talking about if needed.

Comment

If your getting fire from the plug wires then the engine is ROTATING like its suppost

I set the firing order as 1-3-4-2 like i seen on many websites as the proper way to set timing. There is no backfiring only clicking. I made sure i put the #1 plug wire on the dizzy spot labled #1 then went counterclockwise with #3 next, then #4 following, then #2 ending.

Comment

Can anyone confirm 1-3-4-2 as the correct firing order?

Comment

That is correct, this clicking you hear, is it the spark from the coil
          going somewhere besides to the spark plug?? For instance if the
          ignition rotor were left out it would make a hollow clicking noise
          while cranking, is this what you hear?
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yes that is the correct order. Counter clockwise. When you look through the opening do you see teeth or do you see a belt? Maybe the timing belt is broken. Edit: Oops, the cam must be turning if there is spark.
            Last edited by georgeb; 01-15-2012, 10:28 AM.

Comment

What do you mean by "clicking"? You say it's only clicking but then also say the timing belt is turning and that you are getting spark. That doesn't make any sense. Usually when people say clicking, it's the sound the starter makes instead of turning the flywheel when the battery is low. Nothing would rotate and you would not be able to confirm spark or see the "gears" moving.
              Could you be a bit more specific?
              Also, the firing order may be correct on the dizzy cap but are they going to the correct plugs? Meaning, where is your plug #1 on the head? You may have started at the wrong end. Happens regularly.
              Oscar

Comment

Put a good battery in it!! Using jumpers is not enough if the battery in it has completely drained.

Comment

Just re read this again, It looks like battery, ignition and fuel have been covered, they
                  are okay. time to look at cam timing and compression. Pull the spark plugs and make
                  sure they look good, if not try some other plugs. With the plugs out check engine
                  compression.
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

When I say I hear clicking, I am meaning that it is making the same noise that any other vehicle would make a right before it actually turns over. But instead of doing it just a few times and turning over like a working engine, it just keeps "cranking" (may be a better word) and wont actually turn over. Now with that out of the way, the plugs are brand new, in the plug wires are going to the right plugs with number 1 being on the right side of the motor if you're standing in front of the car and number 4 being on the left side of the motor. I have not checked compression , but I tested How much park I had at the end of the spark plugs by using a screwdriver near a ground and I gotta say I was happy with the spark I was getting. I did notice something odd though. I don't know what this part is called, but I will put a picture of it in my profile picture since I cannot upload 1 from my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by vacustode03 View Post
                      Now with that out of the way, the plugs are brand new, in the plug wires are going to the right plugs with number 1 being on the right side of the motor if you're standing in front of the car and number 4 being on the left side of the motor
                      The front of your engine is the side with the pulleys, and the back is the side hooked up to the tranny, so in a festiva, the front of the motor is on the left and the #1cylinder starting there
                      Last edited by travisl_2727; 01-15-2012, 11:56 AM.

Comment

So if you're standing in front of the car facing the engine, cylinder 1 is on the far left and cylinder 4 is on far right?
                        Last edited by vacustode03; 01-15-2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Cylinder 1 on the far left and cylinder 4 on the far right being closest to the distributer

Comment

So, i have it backwards. If I change the order and it fires right up im gonna slap myself. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by vacustode03 View Post
                              So, i have it backwards. If I change the order and it fires right up im gonna slap myself. Lol
                              Don't feel bad about it. Like I said before, it happens very often!

When you said clicking I understood it was not cranking (or turning over - a phrase not usually used to describe an engine running). Hopefully getting the plugs in the right order will get you going.
                              Oscar

Comment

Sorry About the misunderstanding, I will fix the order and I will let you guys know what's up, Thanks so far for the help

Comment

Working...
                                X