Steering rack bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack bushings?

Is there anywhere to get new steering rack bushings? I replaced the rack in my car, but the new one was a little bit different on the passenger side and neither of the original bushings would work. They were too thick. Am I just screwed?

The bushing between the rack and bracket? or inside the rack?
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Bushing between rack and bracket.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

I think I have some. They be used but in good condition.
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Could you take a pic of them?

Comment

Yes I DO, one shaped like a " D " and one shaped like an " O "

sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

That looks like it. But the new rack I put in had d shaped ones on both sides. I think...

Comment

Does anyone have a rack that has the D shaped bushings on both sides? Or can anyone tell me the size for the D shaped bushing? I may just try a universal poly bushing, but I want to make sure I get one thats close to the size, even if I have to shave it down or something.

Comment

Could you take a photo of the old ones - beside a ruler or on a sheet of cross lined paper for scale?
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I'll have to check and see if I still have them.

Comment

Yeah, I never throw parts out. Never know when you might need to take one to the junk yard or parts store for comparison purposes. I've got into the practice of always opening up the package and checking new parts with an old one at the store whenever possible to save a trip. I've even been sold returned parts with bits missing.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

U know not all racks are the same, I just installed my rack yesterday and the bushings were different.

Granted one was a TRW rack and the other was..well I don't know of hand, but when i installed the rack I had just gotten back was different than the one that came off my 88.

The bushing mount on the passenger side had a circle shaped "O" mount that slid over the rack and into place but there was no notches on the passenger side on the original rack to house the bushings like on the new rack.

The TRW rack had a place to house bushing on the passenger side,
                          and the D bushing that came off my 88 on the driver side was too big to "wrap" around the rack and left a overlap in the back.

Also The brackets were different from my 88 to 89 car, I ended up using the brackets from the 89 car to accompany this new rack. It was like the bolt holes were centered just different enough to make a difference.

And I thought all racks were the same?
                          -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Here is the only pic I have of it, I was a little mad at how it kicked my butt trying to get it out of the car for 2 hours lol

But note the passenger side bushing, you can kind of see what I'm talking about, and know that I'm not m3ntal.
                            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

That's exactly how mine was! The old bushings were too thick and the new rack was different. So we just made something work, but it's not working anymore. I can feel a little pop when braking and turning at the same time. I looked up under it and saw that the homemade bushing wasn't really doing anything anymore. I figured I could try a universal one and shave it down or find some way to make one work. I just haven't done it yet. I really like that picture b/c I feel the same way, ha

Comment

Working...
                              X