Bad Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Oil Leak

My friend's car, Izzystiva, has a baad oil leak.
    It appears to be from the back/end of the engine (near transmission).
    I washed the engine then drove a bit to see if I could tell where it was coming from. Fail. Oil was EVERYWHERE again. I think the cooling fan kicks in and blows the leak all over the driver's side of the engine compartment.
    I'm not sure what could be leaking so bad in that area. The valve cover gasket is fairly new and not leaking.
    I'm thinking it may be the seal behind the distributor? Is there a cam shaft seal there and could it leak bad enough and in a way to cover everything in oil?
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

There is a seal on the disty, and they do get hard and start leaking, so yeah that could well be it.

Here are some part #s for it:
    Carquest: GSK 72222
    NAPA: 727-2619-72222
    They cost between $1 -$2 at both locations, and are pretty easy to replace.
    1. Pull disty cap
    2. Note direction rotor is pointing because the disty will have to go back on the head with the rotor in the same position
    3. Undo two 12mm bolts holding disty
    4. Pull disty, clean it up, remove old hard gasket and stick the new one on
    5. Installation, as they say, is the reverse of removal.
    Last edited by TominMO; 02-08-2012, 05:43 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Rear main is also back there. Don't know if it flings in a Festy. Other cars I've had it coats inside of bell housing while running then drips out after shutoff.

Comment

The Cam seal is on the front of the motor.

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
        My friend's car, Izzystiva, has a baad oil leak.
        I'm thinking it may be the seal behind the distributor? Is there a cam shaft seal there and could it leak bad enough and in a way to cover everything in oil?
        Chances are though if your Dizzy o ring is that bad. Your cam seal is in as bad of shape. (But its not on this side of the engine)
        My Dizzy was leaking the same as yours. It was so dry & hard it came out in 3 peices. You can do the job in @ 10 minutes. Just make sure you clean the Dizzy base & the the Cyl head. Then where you cleaned make a reference mark on the base/head with a sharpie. Then when you stab it back in. You'll be very close with engine timing.
        Last edited by nitrofarm; 02-08-2012, 06:35 PM.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Thanks, y'all.
          I forgot there was an o ring on the distributor shaft.
          The timing belt broke so I will check out the front cam seal when I take it apart.
          ~Austin
          Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
            Thanks, y'all.
            I forgot there was an o ring on the distributor shaft.
            The timing belt broke so I will check out the front cam seal when I take it apart.
            Front cam seal is like $5, so it'd be a shame to not do it if you're doing the timing belt anyway.

Can't believe I wrote "gasket" in post #2 above; meant o-ring.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Check the oil fill cap o-ring too. Mine shot oil everywhere.
              Ford Fester

Comment

You might try wrapping a rag around the base of the distributor and running the engine to see if oil soaks into the rag.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                X