Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member / Need help

Hi folks.

I picked up a 91 Festiva a few weeks ago for the mpg's. It's been doing great, but last night an electrical problem has developed.

Car is still running fine, but tach, gas, and temp gauges quit, auto-seat belt quit, turn signals quit, and the warning buzzer for the lights stays on if the lights are turned on.

As far as I can tell, everything else is working. All of this happened at once. Does this ring any bells with anyone? What do all of these things have in common that would cause simultaneous failure?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    72 Gran Torino Sport, 351 Cleveland, 4 Speed
    72 Mercury Marquis coupe, 429
    65 Mustang coupe, 289 automatic
    66 Cadillac Calais
    98 Dodge Ram 1500
    91 Ford Festiva

Sounds like a short caused multiple fuses to blow. That could cause a lot of that. As far as the buzzing... Maybe the cluster is bad? Just a few options, really.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Thanks, that was my thought as well, but i checked a few of the fuses to the left of the steering wheel, and all looked good. Are there other fuses elsewhere that i could check?
      66 Cadillac Calais
      98 Dodge Ram 1500
      91 Ford Festiva

Comment

Sounds like a grounding issue to me. Possibly a broken ground wire.
        I would check the body to engine ground wire first.
        Last edited by Team Lightning; 02-21-2012, 10:51 AM.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I doubt its the fuses. My guess would be a bad ground somewhere in the instrument cluster and/or cluster wiring. Have you been able to verify that the actual turn signals aren't working (outside the vehicle) or is it just the indicators on the dash that aren't flashing?

Edit: Jerry beat me to it, he's pretty quick! But I'm a little more thorough :razz:
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

No turn signals whatsoever. Just seems like an odd group of things to quit.
            66 Cadillac Calais
            98 Dodge Ram 1500
            91 Ford Festiva

Comment

what's your location? there may be a knoledgeable (sp) member in your area tha can help.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I have brake lights, headlights, horn, radio... although the clock on the aftermarket radio did reset to 12:00, so power was interrupted there, at least briefly.
                66 Cadillac Calais
                98 Dodge Ram 1500
                91 Ford Festiva

Comment

I'm near Winchester, Va.
                  66 Cadillac Calais
                  98 Dodge Ram 1500
                  91 Ford Festiva

Comment

not at all odd for that group to go out IMO, on most vehicles ur lights and indicator run on the same circuits, apart from the ignition and all that, +1 on the ground, look in engine compartment for loose wires, i found two when i bought mine, and one was a ground someone didnt hook up securely after working on it
                    He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
                    1987 F-250 diesel-powered
                    1984 Ironhead Chopper
                    1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

You could reach under the dash and try randomly wiggling wires until something happens.
                      Firs thing I'd do is spray WD-40 or contact cleaner into the ignition key hole and the combination switches on the steering column. Good luck.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Im in romney wv but i travel through winchester every day for work. I can swing by one day and lend a hand . pm me
                        Im wondering if its a loose fuse link on driver strut tower? although i had a white tach dash at one time that was beep constaint when it was cold ..
                        New build on the way .

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give it another look.
                          66 Cadillac Calais
                          98 Dodge Ram 1500
                          91 Ford Festiva

Comment

When I get back from taking my daughter to the orthodontist I will look in my wiring manual for under dash grounds locations.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                              When I get back from taking my daughter to the orthodontist I will look in my wiring manual for under dash grounds locations.
                              My 93GL does that when it really cold outside. I drive it a few miles and everything starts working again. Vibration from driving bounces the wiring enough I guess. LOL
                              Chuck
                              Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                              If money will fix it, it's not broken
                              91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                              93 GL - Lil Red
                              91 L - Tweetystiva
                              http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                              http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Working...
                              X