What to do when you can't remove your CV Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
    I tried to pry it, but went to the FF.com knowledge base. Apply some pressure with a large screwdriver and tap gently and continuously like a woodpecker (probably about ten to twenty times) with a small hammer on the inner CV housing. It will pop out like butter, with hardly any effort. I was amazed. You will be too. Brute force, multiple prybars and slide hammers are totally unecessary.
    Different problem, your snap ring was in the groove where it is supposed
    to be. Some 2nd time replaced shafts will displace a snap ring. The snap ring
    will have to be sheared by the side gear splines before the axle shaft can
    be removed. The proper method ( your suggestion ) will be exhausted
    without result before recognizing the snap ring has got you ! At this point
    You use the brute force methods needed to shear the snap ring.

Good point though, no need to bring the big guns unless needed!
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
        Different problem, your snap ring was in the groove where it is supposed
        to be. Some 2nd time replaced shafts will displace a snap ring. The snap ring
        will have to be sheared by the side gear splines before the axle shaft can
        be removed. The proper method ( your suggestion ) will be exhausted
        without result before recognizing the snap ring has got you ! At this point
        You use the brute force methods needed to shear the snap ring.

Good point though, no need to bring the big guns unless needed!
        I don't think it is a matter of the snap ring ending up in the wrong spot...just having it not compress to let the axle pop out. By applying the pressure and then using the hammer I think it helps it squeeze the ring back together as it works its way out with each hit of the hammer. JMO
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Thats what we hope for, but like bolts breaking off coming apart, it
          don't always work thataway! When the snap ring comes out all cut up
          and half out over the end of the shaft you know you been had. Once the ring
          starts out of the groove it is not coming back..This is when you have to up the
          ante to get the job done or abort like the OP did.

I wish we could do something a certain way to make things always work
          like they are supposed to but try as we might its never this way!!

Life is all about rolling with with the punches and coming up with a winner!
          And having fun doing it!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

What's the story on only taking one axle out at a time? My passenger side axle decided it didn't want to come out last night but I already have the driver side out. Do I need to pop the driver side back in before I take the passenger side out? Pretty sure I need a seal on the passenger side and pretty sure I will need a new clip as it has moved out a bit but not enough to release.
            Why did they make these so difficult?
            1981 242 - Inge - Volvo. for life
            2010 Edge - Vladimir - Ford. for the wife
            2011 Focus SE - Noomi - Ford. for economy, comfort and dependability
            And now...
            1992 Festiva - Lil Chubby - Ford. it's just for racing...and it's not really mine...

Comment

Originally posted by Rectilinear View Post
              What's the story on only taking one axle out at a time? My passenger side axle decided it didn't want to come out last night but I already have the driver side out. Do I need to pop the driver side back in before I take the passenger side out? Pretty sure I need a seal on the passenger side and pretty sure I will need a new clip as it has moved out a bit but not enough to release.
              Go thru the housing with a big screwdriver and bang it that way if the gentle pressure/CV joint slide hammer doesn't work!
              1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
              1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
              2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

Originally posted by Rectilinear View Post
                As Rocket said in post #5 of this post, you can loose the spider gears, they will fall to the bottom of the case if not held in place, the spiders do not always fall but if they do, it's not much fun. cut the cvj end from a junk axle, remove c-clip, re-install into trans, this will hold the spiders in place as the trans is moved or bounced around. Good Luck
                An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

^^ 3/4" PVC is also a good alternative to taking apart an old axle (especially if you need the old axle to get back the core charge on a reman!)
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

There is another tool I have had some luck with. It is a slide hammer adapter, slides between the cv joint and the trans (C-shaped) and a threaded extension to give you roon to work the slide hammer.
                    186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
                    1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
                    1992 aqua L (agua)
                    1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

The spider gears won't fall out of place unless you rotate the innards of the trans for some reason. If you do, down they go along with that cupped washer- spacer thing. By the way, what can happen if you put the shafts back into the trans with the snap rings?

Comment

Well if the Axle came out easy thats great, but if it came out hard, not having the ring might make things more easy.
                        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Yeah, but why are they in there in the first place? I'm asking because I went to a shop and had them install my new shafts. Just recently, while I was installing some newer front spindle knuckles, I noticed the shafts would just slide out of the trans indicating to me that there weren't any clips on them. I wired them in place temporarily to avoid any chance of a dropped spider gear. Or did I just answer my own question or is there some other reason for the clips being there?
                          Don't ya ever wonder about stuff like that?

Comment

Maybe get a new shop... Also, the trans should have been leaking fluid. The clips have nothing to do with the spider gears, they have everything to do with making sure the axles stay in the trans. Thats why you have to whack it with a hammer to get them out
                            Last edited by htchbck; 03-29-2012, 03:34 PM.
                            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

+1 on getting a new shop. A rookie tech should have realize when the axle just slid right into the trans with out a little pop to snap the ring back in, that something was wrong. Did they refill your fluid afterward? If the axle isn't fully reseated into the gears it will leak fluid if its at proper level.
                              Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                              93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                              91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                              93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                              15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Did my CV (passenger side, australian model, Left-hand side of car) with my tyre iron and a rod, between the engine and CV joint, popped really easy and guess what "I STRUCK GOLD, BLACK GOLD"... BTW, my car is an autralian Ford Festiva 1991 WA model 5 door... i thought someone would have mentioned oil would have come out of the motor... lol.

Anyways, the benefits of me doing this were, the engine is quieter due to the new oil, the car acts like it has just been aligned and the ride hasn't been smoother. i'm thinking i'll do the other one for laughs when it packs it in.

My main question is really since were on the subject of CV's:- was oil coming out of the motor an OK thing or was that bad? and sorry to the OP for slightly hi-jacking this post.
                                Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                                Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                                Highway - 7.32L/100km
                                City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Working...
                                X