93 festiva project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 festiva project

bought non running festiva .was origially an auto trans.dropped moter and 5 speed with harness from another running vehicle.have issues with the fuel pump not responding properly.replaced fuel pump and resister under dash.with key in on position the fuel pump will push fuel but continue running.turned key off and back on and fuel pump would not come back on.i have power to resister under dash.when i touch test light on another back probe fuel pump kicks back on.i think something is very wrong somewhere in the wiring.been trying to figure this out non stop for the past week.help please

It's called the relay, not resistor. It's not supposed to run when the key is on, only when cranking or when the VAF flap is open. Are you sure it's running when you first turn the key?

Comment

Ok, the relay. The fuel pump should come on for a couple of seconds give pressure and then shut off with key in on position.
      Last edited by Pu241; 03-13-2012, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfd64 View Post
        ok the relay .the fuel pump should come on for a couple of secants give pressure and then shut off with key in on position.
        Wrong. It doesn't work that way in a Festiva. It you want to know that it's working you have to remove the intake tube and push on the flap. Or jump the fuel pump tester by the master cylinder.

Comment

^^^
          Actually, georgeb, I think he is correct.
          I replaced the OEM pump with a Advanced Auto unit which was loud enough that you could hear it when it ran, before you started the car. So you could hear it run a few seconds when in "run", then shut off.
          I also agree with you that without the micro switch engaged at the VAF or jumpered, it will not continue to pump more than about 3 secs. Which is probably how long it pumps with the key in the "run" position.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

My '92 pump is uncovered because I'm investigating a fuel delivery problem. I went out there and turned the key and heard nothing. I jumped it yesterday so I know what it sounds like. I'm certain that is does not momentarily run when you turn the key like it does on most cars. Plus there has been much discussion of the issue on this site. I wish it did to make it easier to diagnose a no-start situation!

Comment

not sure whose opinion is right on weather fuel pump should shut off or not yet.repair manual says it should.anyway their seems to be some advise floating on the wiring that i currently have in vehicle.the car had an auto trans that had been removed.i place moter and 5 speed in.wiring harness on moter from vehicle of same year with 5 speed manual trans.should i also change the wiring that runs under left front fender?computer?under dash wiring?going with manual trans must i delete ac?lots of question at once .i appreciate your help since i have gotten myself over my head on this project.hopefully what i learn will have value now and in future.

Comment

Georgb and I have differing observations, I do not think these are opinions.

No, the wiring and computer do not have to be changed with this swap.
                The transmission is NOT controlled by the ECU.
                No, you do not have to lose the AC.
                But you can send it to me, if it is in your way!

"anyway their seems to be some advise floating on the wiring that i currently have in vehicle."
                I have no idea what your say in the sentence above.
                Please clarify.

Only real issue is the sensors on the transmission that need to be wired in properly.
                Again, please put your location in your profile some maybe be close by and can give you a hand.
                Last edited by Pu241; 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by jfd64 View Post
                  i have gotten myself over my head on this project.hopefully what i learn will have value now and in future.
                  There's no need to remove the air conditioning system if it's a B3 stock engine. Just take one thing at a time, and focus on what is directly attached to the problem. The auto transmission in a Festiva is mechanically controlled, so the wiring harness doesn't have to be changed out if you do a manual transmission swap. I can't tell you much else...
                  In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                  There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

So what is the status right now? All wires and lines hooked up but no start? Fuel lines not backwards? (common problem). Make sure hose coming from filter goes to rail, not fuel press regulator. Car will not stay running without intake hose attached. If car starts on ether, you have fuel prob.

Comment

didnt get an opertunity to work on today.went to junk yard and found relay for 5 bucks instead of 90.00 at store.intake is not attatched.ist thing tomorrow it will be.would go out and do now but gotta keep wife from getting annoyed with projects.thanks for advise

Comment

You probably didn't need the relay. Don't put it in until you try pushing on the VAF flap with key on and listening for pump. If you hear pump, install intake tube and it should start (unless fuel hoses are reversed).

Comment

got it running this morning.it was the intake air hose not hooked up.10 minutes to hook up and she lives.spent most of my time for a week trying to figure this out .ignorance has not been bliss.thankyou very much.pretty exited right now got a lot to do before it is road ready,rear axle and front hubs are converted over to an aspire.was able to find complete set of like new wheels and tires at junkyard cheap

Comment

how do i properly wire sensors on trans?

Comment

Working...
                            X