Axle Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumpin...

What do you use for the ratchet/breaker bar? I have one that will not come off. I broke a ratchet and I can see the breaker bar bending. Using a 36" piece of pipe and it will not budge.
    Tried heating it, PB Blaster, cussing and spit. Nothing has worked.
    Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

On my first suspension swap, I had to use a breaker bar and a hollow pole from a radio antenna mast on one side CV axle nut. The pole extension was over ten feet long.

Not to scare you or anything. :p

I'd use a lot more PBB, wait a while, maybe more heat, then try some more leverage, etc.

Karl
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 11-04-2012, 04:37 PM.
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

While applying force with a breaker bar, mine had a 4ft cheater pipe on it, hit the breaker bar at the base where it reaches the nut with a hammer. The extra jarring will often times break it loose.
        Owner of:
        1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
        In progress:
        BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
          On my first suspension swap, I had to use a breaker bar and a hollow pole from a radio antenna mast on one side CV axle nut. The pole extension was over ten feet long.

Not to scare you or anything. :p

I'd use a lot more PBB, wait a while, maybe more heat, then try some more leverage, etc.

Karl
          Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
          While applying force with a breaker bar, mine had a 4ft cheater pipe on it, hit the breaker bar at the base where it reaches the nut with a hammer. The extra jarring will often times break it loose.

These. Do you have access to a 30 foot breaker bar and a 50 pound sledge?
          Last edited by scitzz; 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM.
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I got it.

I got the loaner 24" breaker bar from AZ. Put a C-Clamp on the end to keep it from flexing and then used my 4' hammock pipe. Finally let go.
            But now if I can get the axle out of the tranny I will be all good.
            Rodney

Comment

Congratulations!

Harbor Freight has 1/2" breaker bars for around ten bucks. I think they are 18" long. They have longer ones for a bit more.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Personally, I have always had great success on axles by prying at it from two sides at the same time.
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Karl,
                  I have one about that size. The one from AZ is 24". And much heftier. The loaner deal was set when he told me "It doesn't have to come back in one piece""We expect to replace tools every so often"

scitzz,
                  Yeah not working. I give. Pulled everything with axle hanging. It'll have a plug in it for now.
                  Rodney

Comment

here's a trick I discovered, take a grinder to one facet of the nut ( that way the wrench will still have enough sides to function ), i use a sander/flap disc but anything would probably work, hit it for a few seconds ( just enough to get it hot), and this will provide heat sufficient enough to enable the loosening of the nut, i have done this on several different types of applications (including using a die grinder) and has never failed, works good also when a torch could damage nearby components
                    Last edited by stonemaster; 11-05-2012, 05:07 AM.
                    He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
                    1987 F-250 diesel-powered
                    1984 Ironhead Chopper
                    1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

When I did mine a couple of months ago, I ended up using my 18" breaker bar, and a 4' length of pipe, and that was after I heated it up with a torch. That thing was ON THERE!

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
                      1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                      1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
                      1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
                      1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
                      1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
                      1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                      X