1988 Festiva Engine Fuse Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Festiva Engine Fuse Problem

My 1988 Festiva has a problem with the 10 AMP engine fuse blowing randomly. At first, I thought it was a problem with the little black and white wire that comes from the fuse since it was melted. I put in a new fuse and I drove it around for an hour yesterday, and it drove fine. I routinely check the wire to see if it was getting hot, it wasn't, and I checked the fuse to see any evidence of melting, there was none. The bext morning, on the way to school, the fuse blew again. I not sure what I'm supposed to look for, so that's why I'm posting this

Look around the engine for any bare spots on wires, any touching something hot
    especially look at the little wires behind the Alternator...and welcome!!
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Clarification, the "10 AMP engine" you refer to, where is it located (fuse box in cabin or under-hood)? It should be in the cabin fuse box as there should not be any 10 AMP fuses under the hood. The "little black and white wire" is a little confusing too. Anyway to get pics for us to help you?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

The 10 amp engine fuse is located in the fuse box in the cabin, next to the steering wheel

Comment

Ill add some pictures of the damaged wire that comes from the engine fuse from the fuse box later on.

Comment

That black/white wire goes to the alternator plug.

Comment

Have you, by chance, recently swapped the alternator?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

no it has the same alternator

Comment

well i dont know how to upload images here, but theres a very thing wire from the engine fuse thats damaged, and it splits up into three identical wires, and when i look at the wireing diagram, i see components like egr sensor 1 and 2, map sensor etc. I suppose one of those things is shorting out, so i just have to find out which one it is.

Comment

The wire coming out of the engine fuse goes to: ECA, EFE heater relay, EGR solenoids 1 and 2, Self-test connector, PAC solenoid, electrical load control solenoid, purge control solenoid, alternator, MAP sensor, and feedback carb actuator. You have to unhook those things one at a time and bridge the fuse with a 10 amp ammeter. Trouble is some of those things probably only work at a certain engine temp. Lucky you!

Comment

Another option is to unhook all of the above and see if you still have a draw. Then you would need to replace the harness or find where it's grounded.

Comment

Working...
                      X