Trouble in B6 land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in B6 land?

Hey all. Some of you may have read about me buying a used B6.
    Here is the thread:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42416

Well, I finally got it up on an engine stand today, and started to check things out a little better. When picking it up at the yard, it was right at closing time, and I didnt get to check it like I wanted to. I had noticed the engine didnt want to turn readily, by grabbing the flywheel. Figured it mught be a little stuck. Well, after getting it on the stand, I put a 1/2 inch breaker bar on the front crank pulley nut to try and turn it. No luck.
    I turned it first CW. (tightening it) The crank bolt turned a little but not the engine! Turning it CCW just loosened the bolt.
    Okay, how bad is this? I mean, I know it could be, not so bad - or very bad, but what are the chances of it being stuck, and not have damage internally?

I tilted the engine to drain any oil the yard may have missed, and it came out thick and black. Some globs of black goop came out too. Didnt notice any metal shavings in the oil though. Can I soak the cylinders/rings/bearings with anything to free it up? Should I take it back?
    I hadnt ever had to deal with a stuck engine before.

Unless blowing an engine up is considered a stuck engine.

Guess i'll take the pan off, (and why I drained the oil) and see if I can see anything that looks....not right... :p
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

I'd squirt some PB Blaster in the spark plug holes to try and free up any stuck (rusted) rings. But maybe there's something better.

Sounds like a project motor. Maybe have the cylinders honed, do a re-ring kit, any needed head work, and you have a nice reliable motor.

But in the end it depends on how much $$/time you want to spend. If the Ford's running good, at least you have a parts chaser; but personally I hate being down to just one car.

Did they tell you it had a warranty, like 30 days or something?
    Last edited by TominMO; 04-16-2012, 10:07 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I have heard of people soaking the engine in ATF and Acetone (50/50) down the bores and coat the pistons and rods. you will have to remove the head to get it all out though I am pretty sure.
      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Other thoughts:
        Don't pull the pan yet, it might not be necessary. Just unstick the rings, install it, fill it with oil and Motor Flush/ATF/MMO or whatever and run it for ten minutes or so. Drain the oil, put in fresh (and a good filter!), do a compression or leakdown test. Might be all you need to do. I was thinking about this, because of how nice the head looked in your other thread.

Of course, you might as well do new water pump, timing belt/tensioner and all seals too, while the motor's out. If this motor doesn't work out for you, you can pull these parts for the next B6 you get, except maybe the camshaft and front crankshaft seals. Anyway it never hurts to have a spare motor you can work on when the urge hits.
        Last edited by TominMO; 04-16-2012, 10:47 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
          Other thoughts:
          Don't pull the pan yet, it might not be necessary. Just unstick the rings, install it, fill it with oil and Motor Flush/ATF/MMO or whatever and run it for ten minutes or so. Drain the oil, put in fresh, do a compression or leakdown test. Might be all you need to do. I was thinking about this, because of how nice the head looked in your other thread.
          Tom, the pan will be pulled, regardless. IF, I can un-stick it, and IF, I can free it up, and it were to look ok, it will be getting all new gaskets/seals anyway.

Dont want no oil leakys after install. :nono:

But all suggestions sound good, and I will be trying a few of them.
          Starting it is interesting. Hmmm....maybe try starting it on the engine stand? :p
          Thanks to all, and if someone has any other input, it will be welcomed!

Edit: The amount of oil that came out, was very little. Maybe ...1/4 cup??? It had been drained it already.
          Last edited by drddan; 04-16-2012, 10:55 PM.
          Dan

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

You could probably free it up and get it running, but when any
            little thing happened you would wonder if a ring finally wore to nothing..
            Just for peace of mind pull it down , clean it up and assemble a known
            good engine! Cheap overhaul, just needs cleaned, honed, new seals
            and gaskets, and anything that suits your fancy, throw it in and go!!!
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

If it has a warranty, I'd take it back, or at least call them. They might refund some of your money. You can pour ATF in and soak it for a couple weeks. It may brek free without damage. If you tear it apart, I guarantee you see something you don't like and end up rebuilding it. It may be a great rebuilder...and may not need any machine work.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I wouldn't pull the pan. The rings are what gets locked. Use PB or WD in spark plug holes. Put torque wrench on crank bolt and attempt to turn. Do same on flywheel bolt. It might smoke depending on extent of rust.

Comment

Dan my bp was locked up when i got it home from the yard. It runs great now.
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I wouldn't do anything until you call the junk yard and tell them what's up. You might get some of your money back. Then pull the oil pan and use anything, seafoam, pb, .. and squirt it on the cylinder walls so it gets down to the oil ring, it would have the most oil gunk, (mine were horrible but it would spin and stick occasionally) for obvious reasons.. use a rubber mallet to hit the piston rod cap down until it frees up. Just try to clean out the cleaner as good as you can, don't leave a bunch in there to get mixed in with good oil. Wouldn't hurt to also soak the top of the pistons too. Is say your in for a couple seafoam treatments, but I would make a rebuild the last resort, its not cheap, imo...I have almost 1100 in mine including 300 to buy the engine itself.
                    Last edited by zoom zoom; 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM.
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Hey! Thanks all! It is still stuck, but top is soaking in 50-50 mix acetone/atf right now.
                      The thing about rebuilding, is I paid $450 for this 83,000 mile motor. Top is sweet, but it being stuck IS giving me the eb-gb's! I rebuild $100 engines, not $450 engines. At that price I kinda expect it to run!
                      I've talked to the yard already. It's no problem if I want to bring it back.
                      I may try to get a partial refund if I keep it, full if I dont.

Gonna give it a shot at freeing it up.

Greg:

How bad was your's stuck, and what concoction/combination did you use to free it?

Zoom:

I like your idea about getting at it from the bottom, also.
                      Oil pan is coming off, as I plan on new gaskets everywhere, anyway, including the pan.

BTW ....YOU GUYS ROCK!!! :headbang:
                      Dan

R.I.P.
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Pics of under oil pan to follow. :eeeeeek: (uploading)

Edit: It aint pretty

Rust all over

Bottom of #4 piston - that rust on the wall way down there sticks up almost 1/8 inch

#3 piston

I couldn't go on. :cry_smile:
                        Last edited by drddan; 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM.
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

wow, I am very surprised they didn't even bother to try and turn the engine over first. Sorry for the bad luck man.
                          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Lesson learned, low mileage junkyard engines don't always mean better junkyard engines...
                            -Zack
                            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
                              wow, I am very surprised they didn't even bother to try and turn the engine over first. Sorry for the bad luck man.
                              I'm not really. Its all about the money. Nobody cares anymore. For $450, they should have checked it.
                              Thanks, Nerd. Bad luck seems to follow me.

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                              Lesson learned, low mileage junkyard engines don't always mean better junkyard engines...
                              This true!

Everything depends on how it was treated. Looks like mine set in the rain, and got water in the intake.

Back to the seller with it!
                              Dan

R.I.P.
                              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Working...
                              X