1989 Festiva L, mystery wires, also has the shakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Festiva L, mystery wires, also has the shakes

So I bit the bullet and bought a 1989 Festy, rough looking, has a bunch of mystery wires disconnected, and shakes at 50 mph, front tires are worn on the inside.

Fan would not come on, reason: Wasn't plugged in! Plugged in=works

Filled radiator with water, manifold waterfall effect, reason: Freeze plug missing!, plugged=holds water

Multiple coolant leaks at all hoses, fixed.

Mystery green wire, I believe it controls the fan operation. I believe it goes to the coolant temp sensor.

Single black wire coming off (spliced) the fan wire and going to my fuel pump, possibly hard wired or bypassed a relay or something. Gas gauge not working, possible sending unit or due to some bypassing or disconnected wire.
    Mystery yellow wire, I believe it tells my temp gauge something, don't know where it goes to.

Wire coming out of the O2 Sensor at the manifold, I don't know where this goes.

Leaks tranny fluid, used stop leak, getting better.

It doesn't smoke, or use any motor oil, oil is dirty, needs changing.
    Last edited by mexdealer; 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM. Reason: Missing info

the shakes are a balance issue, have them balanced and looked over for shifted belts in the carcas.

green with red tracer? solid yellow? the o2 should have a harness connection near the passenger side of the center rad support, look for a white plug.

i'll assume this is an 89 carbie.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

the car was parked for a long time. The green wire does have red, and the yellow wire is solid, as for the o2 sensor, the wire it's just dangling there with a partially melted plug, possibly from being near the manifold, where's the rad support?

Comment

rad support is the thin metal piece that holds the top of the rad in place and the hood latch. it goes across the front of the car right under the front of the hood. the grill also attaches to it.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Is it an automatic or a carby with aftermarket electric fuel pump? You mentioned a wire going to a fuel pump.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            rad support is the thin metal piece that holds the top of the rad in place and the hood latch. it goes across the front of the car right under the front of the hood. the grill also attaches to it.
            So the O2 sensor goes to the radiator? Or it's just where the O2 meets another wire?

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
              Is it an automatic or a carby with aftermarket electric fuel pump? You mentioned a wire going to a fuel pump.
              It's a 1989 Festiva L Automatic, I thought it was a carb but now I know it's Fuel injected. The fuel pump reads Mazda, so I believe it's OEM. There's a single black wire running along the driver's side (inside) and goes out thru the firewall and it's connected to what I believe to be the fan "hot" wire.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                the shakes are a balance issue, have them balanced and looked over for shifted belts in the carcas.

green with red tracer? solid yellow? the o2 should have a harness connection near the passenger side of the center rad support, look for a white plug.

i'll assume this is an 89 carbie.
                I had 3 tires balanced, the fourth one the guy told me he can't because it has a bubble and he won't balance it. Pretty much my tires are old and useless.

Comment

A yellow wire runs from the FAN fuse to motor. A green/red wire runs from fan relay to the coolant temp switch. I take it your fuel pump wiring is not factory. If you can't get the factory setup to work you should use a toggle switch.

Comment

Inside wear on tires is either pos camber or toed out. Check toe first with piece of string hooked on rear rim stretched to front tire. String should touch in rear but not front. Make sure steering wheel is straight.

Comment

Working...
                    X