No announcement yet.

Aspire Swap: steering under acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick hack: Anyone know what the OEM spec alignment is?
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Toe-in, toe-out?

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
      I believe it's also supposed top be toed out slightly. I toe mine out about a 1/16 of an inch a side. I run about 135hp
      That is curious. I'm doing the exact opposite of you; 1/16 toe-in.
      'Course I don't have hundred and thirty five horses on tap either and only seem to race against bored housewives these days.

Comment

Both in range
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmc View Post
          I finished the Aspire swap, and got it aligned. As a summary, this is what has changed:
          New Festiva LCA
          New Festiva Inner TRE
          New Aspire outer TRE
          Aspire Swaybar
          Aspire hub assembly, brakes
          Aspire struts (front)

Now, the issue is whenever I accelerate. The steering wheel shifts to the right. It won't shift back until I let off. It's very sudden when it does, and doesn't feel like normal torque steer; it's very excessive. In 1st/2nd gear, it's almost impossible to hold the car straight at WOT. The problem is still there at higher speeds, even up to 95-100mph. Feels like the car is tilting, and then it falls back down.

I changed to Aspire front struts, and the problem was still there. While doing that, I checked over everything and it all seems solid. Nothing is loose, and there's no play in the steering. Also, the issue started when I did the front swap, the rear beam had been on the car for a week with no ill effects.

I just don't really know where to start. Any ideas?
          I had the EXACT same symptoms. Mine turned out to be the Spindle. Where it captures the Taper of the Ball Joint. Its worn & oblonged.My guess is the previous owner knew this. Tried to fix it thinking it was the Ball Joint. He then tried to replace the LCA. But in the process broke the bolt off in the torque box.Then replaced the LCA,left the torque box all chewed up. Then went and drove the car & realized it still was crazy "Loose". He must have gave up & parked the car. I cut the boots off the rack thinking the inner ball joints or bushings were bad. Then I discovered the bad spindle.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

good find!! that could have spit your ball joint out and gave you a ride to remember!
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
            X