Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Carb Issue

This started on Wednesday.

Festus was running fine, then I turned a corner and lost power. The symptoms are identical to the ones described by Mudville regarding Catstiva:

Idling fine, loses all power when given throttle, then returns to okay idle.

Don't give advice yet, because I have a 'backstory' to bring us up to date on my diagnosis.

I tested the accelerator pump by working the throttle arm; fuel squirts okay when there's fuel in the bowl.

I noticed via my clear view filter that the fuel is draining back out of the supply line when the motor is not running.

I thought, bad diaphragm in pump. I installed a spare used pump. No improvement.

I learned from the FSM, that the stock carb has a sight glass in the fuel bowl. I never noticed this, because of the vacuum lines and dirt conditions. Here it is;

Dry fuel bowl! Now it dies at idle, too. The pic shows what could be a level too high, but my naked doesn't see it. I used my good eye, too!

This can be one of two things; defective deceleration fuel shut off valve, or stuck inlet needle (assuming two different pumps aren't deffective). I'm going to check the decel valve first, by applying 12 volts to it per the FSM.
    Last edited by BigElCat; 05-04-2012, 11:46 PM.
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Okay...the camera was right, and my good eye was not. There is fuel in the fuel bowl.

I checked the deceration fuel shut off valve by disconnecting the plug. I checked for voltage at the plug. I had voltage. Plugged it back in and the valve clicked open. I tried this several times.

I started the car and it runs fine now. Maybe it was just a bad connection at the plug. I just sprayed the plug a couple of days ago, after I washed the engine bay at the car wash. Maybe the car will stay running.

I have to fix the plate lights in order to test drive Festus. I went and got a coke a few minutes ago, driving the Metro. I got pulled over for no tag lights. And the tag lights are out on Festus, too! No test drive yet.

I'm being bewitched
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Working...
    X