Stripped rear axle nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped rear axle nut

I tried removing the drum from my 92 festiva and the acle nut is stuck on and threads are stripped from the axle shaft. I think that maybe the threads were reversed on rear passenger side do I over tightened?

In any case where can I order new or replacent axle spindles?

Yes, the rear threads on the passenger side are reverse thread.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to hit the junkyard for an Aspire swap!

Comment

I just got newer tires/rubber and replaced front inner and outer tie rods and bushings. Im no going to toss those out after all the time put into that. Are there no websites that carry the axle shaft? What's the specific name of the part to help locate it?

Comment

right rear spindle. Ask for the nut and washer too. Washer might be optional.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Are the threads stripped on the spindle AND the nut?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Yeah what I meant to say is the spindle is stripped. I haven't been able to pull the nut off yet it will spin freely but won't come off shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by 92festiva_ View Post
              Yeah what I meant to say is the spindle is stripped. I haven't been able to pull the nut off yet it will spin freely but won't come off shaft.
              Slide a big flathead screwdriver behind it (with a hammer) and pry outward while you turn it. That should get it started on the threads so it'll come off.

If you can't do that, you'll have to either torch it off, try a nut cracker, or unbolt the entire drum/backingplate/spindle assembly from the rear beam, which allows you to take the drum/spindle away from the backing plate, so that you can possibly separate them without damaging anything that way, or just replace the drum and spindle at once.

Comment

I just got newer tires/rubber and replaced front inner and outer tie rods and bushings. Im no going to toss those out after all the time put into that. Are there no websites that carry the axle shaft? What's the specific name of the part to help locate it?
                The only thing you'd lose there is the outer tie rod ends... they're what? $7 each?

Comment

Awe that's easy, cut the nut and split it or torch it and split it, there are thread files to
                  correct the spindle threads and you should be back in business!!
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I'd prefer to run it stock if I can. I'm using it for lots of daily driving and I'm going for max fuel economy. Smaller profile tires help, as would less weight. I'm swapping out the auto transmission for manual later simply for economy. I want to approach geo metro levels of economy ideally.

When I want better braking and performance I'll step into a different car like the Plymouth laser / eagle talon a friend is selling.

Comment

Put a 2 X 4 behind the tire and pry outward while impacting the nut in the right direction.

Comment

"I just got newer tires/rubber and replaced front inner and outer tie rods and bushings. Im no going to toss those out after all the time put into that. Are there no websites that carry the axle shaft? What's the specific name of the part to help locate it? "

Getting confused. That's the front end, no? Problem nut is on the rear? Don't see the connection.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                          "I just got newer tires/rubber and replaced front inner and outer tie rods and bushings. Im no going to toss those out after all the time put into that. Are there no websites that carry the axle shaft? What's the specific name of the part to help locate it? "

Getting confused. That's the front end, no? Problem nut is on the rear? Don't see the connection.
                          That was his response to "why don't you do an Aspire swap?"

Comment

you need a new spindle assembly. They un-bolt from the rear beam. I highly doubt a mcparts store will be able to get one, but you can try. Crush nut can be purchased, they average $9 or so, specify driver or passenger side to hopefully get the correct thread.
                            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                            82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

I'd prefer to run it stock if I can. I'm using it for lots of daily driving and I'm going for max fuel economy. Smaller profile tires help, as would less weight. I'm swapping out the auto transmission for manual later simply for economy. I want to approach geo metro levels of economy ideally.

When I want better braking and performance I'll step into a different car like the Plymouth laser / eagle talon a friend is selling.
                              Similar fuel economy to a Metro? You must be talking the 3 cylinder sewing machine jobs. Very difficult to beat a Festy for economy, and still retain some rudiments of zip to go along with it.
                              The swap to 5 speed will get you a good 5-10% improvement though. Have never personally been able to achieve more than 44 mpg (Imperial gallons) with my one stray auto Festy whereas all of my 5 speeds are in the high 40s and one them got me 53 mpg on a dedicated 100 mile highway run last year.
                              Braking and performance: switch over to Aspire fixins and then you'll have more stopping power than you'll ever need.

Comment

Working...
                              X