Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition / Key issues

Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted but have learned a ton from this forum. You guys have been a life saver. I've had this issue with my ignition and can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. Maybe I just overlooked them IDK. But since I've had my 89 festy she's had a funny acting key. Have to have it in just the right spot or she won't start. More recently she just dies going down the road and as it stalls I could previously wiggle the key and she'd fire and go from there. Howver this last time nothing. I had very weak spark so I replaced the coil, the spark improved. I was able to get it started by pulling it only, but she ran real bad low power and sputtering. Think the 2 are related? And is there a good fix for the key issue? I tried the WD-40 other mentioned but no fix there. Thought of putting in a push button, but cops don't like to see a car that can start withought a key (found that out the hard way on my old truck).

key

replace ignition switch its probably the electrical part,not making contact,cause its worn. to be sure,replace whole switch,tumbler and all.this happened to me,recently. this is how i fixed it. check ebay for switch. try to find a new one,or one that was tested.

Comment

If you can't find a new ignition switch locally try placing a want ad here for one. Sounds like thats your problem
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Try spraying WD-40 or contact cleaner into the key hole and work the key around. I've had to do it towce on my car but it cleared up the problem both times. Cheap and easy so a good thing to try before replacing parts.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Ok, finally got the new ignition switch and installed it. No luck... There is hardly any spark coming out of the coil. So I put a new coil in and didn't seem to help. Ignition Control Module maybe? I looked online and those babies are expensive. I have a 91 parts festy, how hard would it be to swap it over to the newer distributor and coil? Has anyone done this yet? Or is there a better way to go about this?

Comment

Sounds like you had a couple things wrong at the same time . The key problem seems to be fixed now move on to the spark problem . I would start a wtb here for the complete distributor ,I just went through the same problem with my car and that was the fix . If you can't find one on here Lmk ,but I only have one spare left .
            I wouldn't recommend trying to change over to the newer style distributor that would run you into a complete wiring harness and ecu swap . Unless you have a lot of time seems like you have the parts on hand thou .
            New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by timmytooth View Post
              Ok, finally got the new ignition switch and installed it. No luck... There is hardly any spark coming out of the coil. So I put a new coil in and didn't seem to help. Ignition Control Module maybe? I looked online and those babies are expensive. I have a 91 parts festy, how hard would it be to swap it over to the newer distributor and coil? Has anyone done this yet? Or is there a better way to go about this?
              Did you replace the coil wire as well? I take it you are looking at spark directly from the wire to a ground...

I do know that one connection in the switch will keep you from getting spark, but weak spark? The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head would be a weak battery, but I doubt it. These cars kick over so easy, I think a fresh charge on 8 AAA duracells could start one. Hey! I might try that just for fun!
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Yeah the battery is brand new, and the wires don't look to shabby. But I'll try it just for S&G's. I used a spark plug right off of the coil, and direct to ground both produce a faint orange spark, not the nice pretty blue that makes an audible snap. When I go through the Dist, not spark that I can see.

Comment

Oh! Also as a side note, I did find when replacing the ignition switch that there was a rectangle plastic box with a set of "points" in it. The soldered joints had come loose, that was more than likely my key issue.

Comment

If you are not getting good spark from the coil, ignore the disty for now. Definitely try a known good wire for the coil to see if that eliminates your problem. If you talk to the counter person at your local McParts store real sweet, you can probably return a basically unused wire set if that isn't your problem. A wire can look just fine, and have problems.

If I am not mistaken, and someone will be sure to jump in if I am, all you have is a basic twelve volts running to the coil, and the effect happens inside of it that brings about that nice blue spark.

If the spark from the coil is shabby, then anything coming out of a perfectly good disty will still be for the birds.

So, be sure you are getting good power to your new coil, ie, hit it with a multimeter, and then check if it is just the wire.

If it turns out to be the wire, some serious sweet talk might get you your money back for that coil
                    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

If you have a VOM meter you can check the resistance in your ignition wires. Also wipe them off with a clean rag and crimp the ends for better contact.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by windy1 View Post
                        replace ignition switch its probably the electrical part,not making contact,cause its worn. to be sure,replace whole switch,tumbler and all.this happened to me,recently. this is how i fixed it. check ebay for switch. try to find a new one,or one that was tested.
                        Just to be sure, as suggested by windy did you replace both the lock
                        part and the electrical part? You did say that wiggling the key would
                        correct the problem for a while until it got worse?
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I ordered a set of wires and a new cap and rotor. I found some issues within the cap/rotor assy. The spring/contact on the rotor had a half moon shape burned into it and the carbon post inside of the cap was burnt off as well. Still no spark.

Comment

I replaced the ICM only, not the key. Wasn't sure how to get the tumbler out of the column. But there are no electrical systems in the key right? All I found was a rectangle peg from the tumbler to the ignition switch. Maybe this weekend I can try the tumbler as well. I just assumed that because the solder failed on this point style contact that was most likely the wiggle issue.
                            Last edited by timmytooth; 07-05-2012, 06:09 PM.

Comment

To answer an earlier question. I do have 12v on both sides of the coil. And still no spark... So to summerize I have replaced - Cap, rotor, plug wires, coil, battery, and ignition switch.
                              Last edited by timmytooth; 07-05-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X