Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Festivachuck90 View Post
    Why do u say it sucks. And I got quoted only 55 for a new one from autozone
    it sucketh for 2 reasons: 1) your car isn't performing as it should and therefore you can't enjoy driving it as you should, and 2) this issue may run you arround in circles without proper and thurough diagnosis (which takes time).
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

look above this thread in the Stickies. Find my thread on "EFI Distributor tester"

less than $5 of parts.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

What FB71 said, check link below:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Tester

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
          look above this thread in the Stickies. Find my thread on "EFI Distributor tester"

less than $5 of parts.

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ghlight=tester
          Holy Cow FB71 !, That works GREAT !!!:wav:
          No car too fast !

Comment

Ok I will and today when it runs bad when I pull the battery it dies usually it can run with out the battery and the Volts only drop like 1 when it's running bad. Also when I flip the headlights on it seems to idle alittle better

Comment

WHY WHY!!!!???? are you taking the battery out of circuit with the engine running!?!?!!

i immagine you like replacing the ALT and electronics?

and just so you know why i'm flipping out on you about this: when you rempve the battery from the charging circuit, you cause the alt to go "full field" which can cause the electrical system to see more than 17vDC and they aren't designed for that. ALSO, while full fielded, the alt can produce AC voltage as well and push that through the system. a healthy charging system will see .035vAC, pulling the battery out of circuit can allow the alt to put out over 5vAC in a system that shouldnt see more than 0.5vAC.

moral of this story: DON'T DO THAT!!!

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Went to autozone and tested the icm like 12-15 times it was heated up and it still passed

Comment

Ha oops my bad about the battery. Well Chevy trucks u can pull the battery and run it so I was just curious about the car and I just thought maybe the alt was bad or something not producing enough power so I tried it Won't do it again

Comment

you should never do that to ANY charging system with an alternator, you CAN do it to systems with a GENERATOR, but those aren't used in modern vehicles (late 60s to present)

Comment

Ok. So any ideas on what else it could be

Comment

you had the coil tested? or swapped? if the module is passing a stress test, the next part of the system that sees alot of stress is the coil. then after that is the pickup coil.

Comment

I was gonna just swap my coil off my 89 festiva tht doesn't run but it's not the same. So I will get the coil tested nxt. What's the pickup coil?

Comment

Even if the coil isn't the same, it's the same.

They all basically operate on the same principal - constant 12V power source, switched tower lead.

The only real difference is whether it's body grounded or external ground. Most canister coils are external. Ours are generally external.

Try what I told you before to test the coil. Just get a canister coil off just about anything and hook it up direct to the battery, but don't leave it powered without using it for more than a few mins.

Edit - I guess it wasn't you that I told that... Oh, well... try it anyway.
                            Last edited by Christ; 05-15-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

No I believe u did say something like tht on another of my threads I had. I just havent focused on the coil yet so I didn't remember. The old one is a cylinder type and the one in my car is square and has the square looking metal piece around the outside. So tht one would work? And what about why it idles alittle better when I put my head lights on lol?

Comment

hmmm do you have access to a DVOM (digital multimeter)?

this is what i did and it works very well.
                                Last edited by FestYboy; 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X