Brake Pad Shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Pad Shims

Right now I'm replacing the brakes on my 91' Festiva. Currently, I'm installing the calipers and pads. My Festy didn't have the shims that go behind the pads. My calipers and pads are assembled but they need the shims. After researching this forum I could not find the answer I wanted.

Looking at the caliper assembly, it seems as though the shims are definitely needed. There is too much play between the pads and caliper. I would believe that this would cause the pads to drag lightly and wear unevenly. Others on previous threads have stated they excluded the shims and they believed that the brakes were fine without them. I find this hard to believe. Am I able to purchase these shims? I haven't found a parts store around here that has them, nor have I found a local junkyard that has a Festiva.

Also, the calipers came with pin retainers and cotter pins. Are the cotter pins a better choice over the pin retainer? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by clay124 View Post
    Right now I'm replacing the brakes on my 91' Festiva. Currently, I'm installing the calipers and pads. My Festy didn't have the shims that go behind the pads. My calipers and pads are assembled but they need the shims. After researching this forum I could not find the answer I wanted.

Looking at the caliper assembly, it seems as though the shims are definitely needed. There is too much play between the pads and caliper. I would believe that this would cause the pads to drag lightly and wear unevenly. Others on previous threads have stated they excluded the shims and they believed that the brakes were fine without them. I find this hard to believe. Am I able to purchase these shims? I haven't found a parts store around here that has them, nor have I found a local junkyard that has a Festiva.

Also, the calipers came with pin retainers and cotter pins. Are the cotter pins a better choice over the pin retainer? Thanks in advance.
    the shims are only there for noise reduction....they are not spacers...our cars do not need them. The caliper adjusts accordingly as the brakes wear. If you have a gap then they are probably hanging up on the retainer pins or the slide.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Okay. What about my using the cotter pins instead of the retainer pin? Think it's big deal?

Comment

If you're wanting the anti-rattle clips (sounds like what you are describing):

NAPA part number: UP 83866

Or the whole kit with all the clips, "m" spring and retainer pins included : UP 82949A

Clips are ~$2 per side, complete kit is ~$10
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I have the anti-rattle clips, they came with the calipers. I'm was asking about the shims that go behind the pads. I was under the impression that the shims were a must-have part for the calipers and pads to operate correctly. GeneveDirt clarified the shims purpose.

Comment

I wouldn't be too concerned with the shims. What they do is act as a cushion to keep the pads from vibrating - which is the most common cause of brake squeal.

Since our pads are pretty securely mounted in the caliper they really aren't going to do that even without shims.

I'm you're real concerned about it you can buy some "disc-brake quiet" spray that you spray on the back of the pads (in lieu of shims) which dries to a rubbery kind of texture. Once the brakes are applied the piston and the bracket form an impression into this which acts as a cushion:

There is another kind of spray that goes on the rotors but don't waste your money on that stuff.

Comment

^^ X2, that disc brake quiet stuff works great! Use it all the time on the big trucks and vans at work.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I found a set of shims on ebay and ordered them. They came in today. I thought that these elusive shims were made of metal. Boy was I wrong! They are just thick stickers that are like rubber. I now see why I confused you guys, my apologies. I am a noob to the Festiva world. I've always been a Jeep guy. Thanks for replying.

Comment

Working...
                X