I hate brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate brakes

I hate brakes. I hate brakes. I hate brakes. I hate rust! Wanted to vent! Im replacing the brake lines on my festiva and have replaced all new lines. Now wanted to bleed them and broke off the bleeder screws yes..!
    Any ideas what i should do?
    1991 Auto Ford Festiva " Noel " <-- cuz theres No L in Festiva
    1991 Manual Ford Festiva
    1999 ford f-250 5.4L My gas guzzler.

You can get new cylinders or you can try to get the old bleed valve out with an easy-out. The hole is already there! Or you can be really cheap and bleed the brakes by loosening the connection at the cyl.

Comment

If it's the rear ones, replace the whole wheel cylinder(s).

It the fronts, try the easy out method. If that doesn't work, swap these in for rebuilt calipers. I'm assuming you began with original calipers?

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Everybody needs to check their brake lines. Esp where they attach to the car.
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
          If it's the rear ones, replace the whole wheel cylinder(s).

It the fronts, try the easy out method. If that doesn't work, swap these in for rebuilt calipers. I'm assuming you began with original calipers?

Karl
          Everything is original. Its the rear ones to. Prolly going to remove the old screws with a screw extractor.
          1991 Manual Ford Festiva

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
            Everybody needs to check their brake lines. Esp where they attach to the car.
            Good idea with cars from the rust states.
            1991 Manual Ford Festiva

Comment

One word --- "stainless".

Comment

When I redo my next set of hard lines (all of them!) I'll probably use this service, but only to do the most difficult bends:

-from brake splitter down through the crossmember channel
                -from just before the lines go up by the gas tank to their destinations
                -maybe one or two other sections if I think they might be difficult for me to do

I think I can do the rear axle brake lines myself. Possibly the two front brake lines from splitter to hoses. I'll see. The more I can do myself the less it should cost, and by only having the most difficult sections done the pieces can be mailed more easily in well packed boxes.

I'll connect them with straight sections of line I buy myself, cut to fit exactly so I won't even have to make the ends.

I'll probably have two or three sets made while I'm at it.

There shouldn't be any problem in mixing stainless steel custom bent lines with store bought regular lines, right?

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  It's about time for that pic of the purple fluid!

That's pretty awesome though, I wonder where I could just get the stainless lines and bend it all myself? I bet a regular flare tool would work on the stainless just as well.
                  Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-27-2012, 07:52 PM.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

You could buy just the lines and fittings from Classic or from Inline and bend & flare them yourself. They sell brake tools too. I did that too.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 05-27-2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                      very purty!
                      1991 Manual Ford Festiva

Comment

Actually, what I'd really like to get my hands on some ARP stainless metric flanged bolts but the piece price is obscene. I have emailed the U.K. for a box price in anticipation of a group buy. Have you seen the prices on their titanium dress up kits?
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 05-28-2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Karl...the lines are very easy to bend and route yourself. As far as getting exact lengths...I would just measure how long you think you need and round up with what they have available. I did this for the 2 lines running to the rear of the car, bent by hand where I wanted them...did a little reroute where I thought I should and ended up almost perfect to the the rear connections. The line is very easy to bend and if you are a little long you just bend it a little different and it takes up the extra.
                          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          There ain't no rest for the wicked
                          until we close our eyes for good.
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Just find a hardware store with a good selection of nuts and bolts, my local feed store has metric stainless nuts and bolts.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Too late now but heating with a torch works. I broke a front nipple, was not able to extract it, so just left it and bled from the rubber hose connection. Couple years later I replaced both calipers.

How did it go at the firewall? I think brake line is the first thing they install at the factory and everything else is put on top.

When I replaced the brake lines I bought fixed length with the harware already on them because it was cheaper and less work than cutting and flaring myself. The last section I had to cut to length and flare. The tighter you turn the flare tool the better the flare. I borrowed a flare tool for free from the parts store. One of my flares had a slow leak for months but seems to have stopped now. I lost about 1/4" of fluid in the reservoir over 6 months so it was okay. I typed in the lengths I used and posted in one of the old threads here.
                              Last edited by WmWatt; 05-28-2012, 02:06 PM.
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X