oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pump

how do u,change an oil pump,on a 91 festy? the haynes manual,says u,dont pull the engine,just oil pan and front sprocket ? :cry_smile:drool:nono:

I need to change one out as the mount for the timing belt tensioner is bad (its at an angle

Do these tend to go bad? Will one off an Aspire work?

I have a Ford manual, says crankshaft socket, oil pan, then pump. Pump bolts are 14-19 foot pounds. Inlet tube is 69-95 inch pounds. If you follow the sequence, they pulled the engine, but I think it could be done with it in.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by windy1 View Post
      how do u,change an oil pump,on a 91 festy? the haynes manual,says u,dont pull the engine,just oil pan and front sprocket ?
      The oil pump fits over the crankshaft and bolts to the front of the engine. Make sure when you order your pump that you know if you have a "big nose" or "small nose" crankshaft. Normally, all '93 Festivas and a few 92's will have the "big nose". Anything older will be "small nose" unless someone has replaced the crankshaft. The Haynes manual is correct, except there are a few more pieces than you list - crankshaft pulley, timing cover, timing belt, and probably drop the exhaust pipe from the header manifold.
      You gonna race that thing?
      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

you don't actually have to pull the oil pan, IIRC, but there are 2 or 4 bolts that go through the front of the pan, and a seal that's a pain to seat properly if you don't pull the pan. Up to you if you want to try it, but you'll likely end up pulling the pan, or at least lowering it.

The whole job shouldn't take more than a couple hours if you're experienced with that type of pump. The hardest part about it is setting the valve timing. As long as you're putting a new oil pump on, you might also change the timing belt tensioner, water pump, and belt, depending on their age.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
          I need to change one out as the mount for the timing belt tensioner is bad (its at an angle
          Do these tend to go bad? Will one off an Aspire work?
          I never saw any sitting at an angle....usually the pulley gets to feeling rough when you try to spin it or it may get kind of "growly". Aspire should fit just fine --- if you have a "big nose" crankshaft on your Festiva. If you have a "small nose" crankshaft, the Aspire oil pump will be way too big for your crankshaft.
          You gonna race that thing?
          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

oil pump

i was going to replace oil pump ,when i replace pan gasket. engine has 165,000 miles. actually,if pump is good,and it seems ok,why should i replace it? i was going to,cause i have to do pan gasket. if pump works fine,why replace it? what u,guys think? thanks for great feedback,guys mdoyleufo@gmail.com

Comment

I say buy a brand new one and have a shop install it :p

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by windy1 View Post
                i was going to replace oil pump ,when i replace pan gasket. engine has 165,000 miles. actually,if pump is good,and it seems ok,why should i replace it? i was going to,cause i have to do pan gasket. if pump works fine,why replace it? what u,guys think? thanks for great feedback,guys mdoyleufo@gmail.com
                I don't replace anything that still works reasonably well. If it's already on it's last legs, or doesn't perform within a good range (arbitrary, based on opinion), I replace it.

If your oil pressure isn't low, I wouldn't bother replacing it. Same with the water pump. If your cooling system is functioning as expected, no reason to replace it (Unless there's marks around the weep hole, then the seals are bad.)

Timing belt, if it doesn't look stretched or damaged, I put it back on, don't even care about orientation. So on, so forth. I've reused gaskets without problems. Just inspect and test as much as you feel reasonable. You'll get a feel for what's generally in need of repair/replacement and what's not.

Comment

If your pressure is fine, leave it alone. This type of pump really doesn't wear out persay. If you were doing a rebuild after a bearing failure where large chunks of metal was getting sucked up, then replace it and dobt chance it. But as a maintenance part, save your money and just do the gasket.
                  Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                  93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                  91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                  93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                  15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                  88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                    I say buy a brand new one and have a shop install it :p
                    No rebuilt pumps either and with something this important buy a back up
                    with a spare set of tools for the glove box!
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

makes sense

u speak right up,usually right too. i should ve had oil pump put on,when timing belt was changed. [if the dog didnt stop to urinate,he d still be alive]

Comment

i agree,but its got 165,000miles [hard] on it. i might have oil pressure checked first. if its good,and it should be,ill decide then. i get compulsive,about fixing a car. festy is no exception. thanks for tough advice.

Comment

So you've no reason to replace it other than you feel like it might need it?

Leave it be. Do the timing belt/water pump if you're worried
                          1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                          High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                          Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

right and correct. keep your powder dry,and nose to the wind. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
                              I never saw any sitting at an angle....usually the pulley gets to feeling rough when you try to spin it or it may get kind of "growly". Aspire should fit just fine --- if you have a "big nose" crankshaft on your Festiva. If you have a "small nose" crankshaft, the Aspire oil pump will be way too big for your crankshaft.
                              It looks like the tensioner was put in cross threaded. It's at a pretty extreme angle, like 15-20 degrees off square as I recall. It's sorta hard to get to right now to take a pic. I'm thinking maybe the boss cracked off and the bolt pulled over.
                              1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                              1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                              1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                              1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                              2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                              2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                              2005 Accord - wife's DD
                              2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                              X