No announcement yet.

Dead in the parking lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your thoughts, so if i cranked it for some time would it build up enough pressure to fire up and run till the next time it was shut down.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
      Thanks for your thoughts, so if i cranked it for some time would it build up enough pressure to fire up and run till the next time it was shut down.
      Since it is an electric pump, it is doubtful that cranking for a while will help, more like cycling the key several times to get it to start pumping at all.
      If you wanted to test the theory, you could add some Lucas Fuel Treatment in it as it will clean and lubricate the fuel system to see if it improves by helping the pump to start up.

Fuel pump is super easy in this car and they are not expensive. Rockauto has them for $37 and the strainer for $2. Our car was stumbling a bit right off of idle before and I noticed the pump making an odd noise a few times. Since the new pump went in, it runs like a champ! Enough to complete 900+ miles at WOT anyway!

Good luck with this! As frustrating as it is, it is giving you warning signs instead of stopping altogether. My Volvo has been doing this for a while as well and I am just waiting to do my engine swap and getting rid of the electric fuel pump completely. IT's back to basics for me!
      Last edited by Rectilinear; 06-08-2012, 02:25 PM.
      1981 242 - Inge - Volvo. for life
      2010 Edge - Vladimir - Ford. for the wife
      2011 Focus SE - Noomi - Ford. for economy, comfort and dependability
      And now...
      1992 Festiva - Lil Chubby - Ford. it's just for racing...and it's not really mine...

Comment

I believe the ignition control module is outside of the disty...little black block by the coil. So replacing the disty will not fix it. #4 post in the link shows it right next to the coil.
        Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

^ correct, the dizzy just houses the pickup coils.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Carry the tools required to pull a spark plug.And a wire with Gator clips on the ends.Then if it fails,pull a plug.And with the key "ON".Parking brake "ON".Jump the starter relay while grounding the plug.Look for a good quality spark. If you got good spark.You just discovered you have a fuel delivery problem. If no spark its probabllythe Ign module failing intermitantly.
            Last edited by nitrofarm; 06-09-2012, 02:27 AM.
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

My 91 festy did that once. Changed the fuel pump relay under the dash and it hasn't rehappened since.

Comment

Good morning all,

GenevaDirt, i chose to change the dizzy simply because it was a link in the Ign system, next the coil, then finally the module, last night i was sitting in front of the car with the hood open giving it the evil eye and thinking about all the help i was getting and thought about the fuel pump, then it hits me, what are the chances that i switched out the bad module with anothert bad one, so i pulled another from stock, installed it and the car has ran fine since yesterday. the test will come today when i drive it to another job about an hour away.

Nitro, thanks for your help, last night i was able to borrow a spark tester, it's a neet little deal that plugs into the Dizzy cap then put the plug wire on the other end, then jump the relay.

denguy, thanks i'll keep that in mind
                An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Dang man how many jobs you got? All those to feed the Festy habbit??
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

NP its always a pleasure to help someone who is willing to fix their own ride. :salute:
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                      Dang man how many jobs you got? All those to feed the Festy habbit??
                      I'm kind like an old who_e, i'll do anything for a dollar to keep the wolves away from the door.

Comment

Thanks to all who helped with this project, it seems that i switched out a bad ing module with another bad one, a good one has been put in place. the car now runs as it should. thanks for the help.

Comment

Just got home , looks like the best site around was taking good care of you!!
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

yes sir, things are good.

Comment

Working...
                            X