No announcement yet.

Stuck axle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The axle must get shorter as the suspension extends, the festy has some pretty
    cool geometry here. And it has to have a good circlip. My left side will pop loose
    with a festy axle when it reaches the level position. The Aspire ABS inner CV had
    almost the same compressed dimensions but an extra inch of extension. Without
    the clip there are times that the axle can pop in and out and dump a little oil. Neither
    of my axles, festy or Aspire have outer CV's that move lengthwise.

A thought, the easy rock and turn method only works for me when I use a matched
    pair of pry bars, the 24 inch ones..you need some serious leverage to control the
    rocking.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
      Neither
      of my axles, festy or Aspire have outer CV's that move lengthwise.
      never paid much attention when pulling them, lol....just know there is plenty of movement for suspension travel and such.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Put new half shafts in and put the tranny back in.... problem is that now that it is all back together whenever i release/let up the clutch pedal I get a grinding noise but when I put the clutch pedal back to the floor the grinding stops... this happens in all gears and neutral except for reverse.... reverse drives just fine... also the shifter moves freely into all the gears.....any ideas? Need help please........is it the clutch???

Comment

i'll paypal $50 to whoever gets it right!!!

Comment

5th works now and reverse... must be that the gears aren't lining up correctly

Comment

How did you end up getting the axles out?

Comment

had to sawzall really close to the tranny... opened it up, and pulled out the gears... the clip was mashed in the splines that's why it didn't come out.... $45 for a new half shaft wasn't too bad though... but now that I have it all together it grind/catches somewhere in the gears...so I just dropped it again and am gonna take it apart and make sure everything is lined up...

Comment

How hard was it to sawzall? I'm pulling the engine/tranny out of a Protege and the axles are impossible to reach to do the tappy thing. I'm thinking cutting them is a more fun idea. Do you think an Angle grinder with a cutoff wheel could do it?
                  Owner of:
                  1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                  In progress:
                  BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Anglegrinder/cutoff wheel will work.
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

shift selector not lined up right?
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I wish I could help, but I know NUTHIN' about the inside of the MTX! I hope you get it going soon!
                        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Apologies to all...........until today I never noticed that there is built in lateral play in the cv joint itself. The circlips are going back on my axles as I do believe they may have something to do with keeping the seal surface located.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                            Apologies to all.
                            No need to apologize! We just want to see your Festiva running for a long time to come!
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

well.... transmission is still grinding and I really don't wanna pull it and take it apart for the FOURTH time... so thanks to zoom zoom I'm hopefully getting a 5 speed in the mail soon... After dropping the transmission 5+ times on the same car it gets really annoying really fast.... Can't wait to get my festy running though! Next step is to finish charging up the a/c with some r12 I found then to do some body work.... Thanks everyone for your help,,,,, even if I couldn't figure it out

Comment

Working...
                              X