RPM drops when clutch is step on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM drops when clutch is step on?

Anybody experience this. Whenever I step on my clutch my rpm drops from 900 to 6-700. Don't no why, and I check all my vacuum and there in the right place. Oh by the way I'm using a BP engine. Appreciate the help!

Might have something to do with the switch at the top of the pedal (not the one on the side).

Comment

An auto computer lowers the idle speed when dropped into gear.
      You may have the auto computer hooked to the wrong signal on
      a manual tranny. Doing a swap you may have done the equivalent
      with the parts you have, check that angle.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
        An auto computer lowers the idle speed when dropped into gear.
        You may have the auto computer hooked to the wrong signal on
        a manual tranny. Doing a swap you may have done the equivalent
        with the parts you have, check that angle.
        Ok thanks, ill try to replace my ecu. I did remember getting a spare ecu from the yard and might have installed the auto instead of the original manual one.

Comment

this also happen to carbureted..ive experienced it..dont know why..
          "i am the difference":cheers:

Comment

Now you know why I threw out my ECU. Good old fashioned carbs don't need computers. I hate it when preprogrammed chips tell me what to do, or do wierd, uncontrollable things with rpms, idle speeds, accel, decel, etc.

Comment

I am not trying to say that the Kia ECU has a Manchurian chip inside of it, but you never can tell. I wonder if there are hardware Trojans in our electronics with wireless cryptographic ICs? We won't find out until WWIII.

Comment

Make sure the wiring is going to the correct switches, but if you have one to swap
                in that is great!

Comment

The computer system is there to optimize fuel efficiency and reduce pollutants through more complete combustion. It compensates for individual engine differences including wear on higher milage engines. Disconnecting the computer removes that advantage.
                  Last edited by WmWatt; 07-30-2012, 12:54 PM.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                    Make sure the wiring is going to the correct switches, but if you have one to swap
                    in that is great!
                    Wiring is correct and will put the BP manual ecu. Let's see if this will solve my problem.

Comment

Installed a different ecu(manual) still no luck. Any more tips. I'm thinking of replacing the entire throttle body assembly, since im thinking i might have a faulty IAC.

Comment

Unplug your transmission and clutch switches one at a time to see if
                        a switch might be faulty. Test one at a time.

Comment

You can also run with the iac unplugged
                          -Greg
                          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                          Redneck Engineer
                          FOTY - '09
                          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                            The computer system is there to optimize fuel efficiency and reduce pollutants through more complete combustion. It compensates for individual engine differences including wear on higher milage engines. Disconnecting the computer removes that advantage.
                            I work on computer systems every day , If I see a stripped 4 cylinder come
                            in with header, weber, mechanical disty it sure makes me smile!!
                            The last one was a show car VW, dual dellortos, header, old tin..lopey
                            cam...Bad side, the car was full ( 2 seat only ) of fancy stereo stuff and
                            more water jet art that was chromed than I have seen anywhere else..

About computers though they will do exactly what they were programmed
                            to do or do nothing. This one is doing something so it either has the wrong
                            program or bad information going in. So many things are assumed as well,
                            I assume that the IAC is working correctly the rest of the time..

Comment

The use of a computers on a car engine has increased the efficiency of an internal combustion engine from 32% to 33% (until something goes wrong with the electronics).

Comment

Working...
                              X