Gasoline odor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasoline odor

After driving my 91 and parking it I can smell a little gasoline. Any advice on where to look for a leak? It doesn't appear to be gushing out anywhere. Since buying it I have done nothing to the fuel system but change the filter. Thanks.

Check the vent line, it'll go from the charcoal canister to the tank and I once had the metal line on the tank rot off it, it might be your problem

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Thanks, will do.

Comment

Could be a leaking gas tank. It doesn't have to be gushing out, gas evaporates fast too so if it leaks a lot over night you won't ever see it. My ranger had this problem. I would try Damkid's guess first though, dropping the tank is a pain.

Comment

Check the injector o-rings as well, best time to notice a leak is run the car for about 30 seconds then shut it down. Should see/hear a little gas or at least vapor hissing out if one is bad.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

^ don't forget the fuel pressure regulator o-ring while checking injectors.

If you get the gas smell bad in the back seat check the evap hoses tucked behind the rear fender. Those hoses get crunchy after 20 years and you'll smell it on hot days.

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk.
            91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
            92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
            95 Grand Prix SE DD
            Wife's Stuff:
            89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
            97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
            Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

It was 93 here yesterday.

Comment

The rubber gasket between the fuel pump lid/cover and the gas tank on my car is not a perfect seal. If I fill it right to the brim the smell of gas is evident inside the car. This lid is underneath another metal cover which is inside the car and under the back seat. Slitting the carpet is fastest way in there. All Philips screws, small hose clamps and one electrical connector to undo.

Comment

Working...
                X