O2 Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O2 Sensor

On my 89 Carb Festy, my O2 Sensor is disconnected. There is a wire coming from the sensor but someone cut the rest and we can't find where it goes. I need to know where the rest of the wire goes. Anyone know? Any pictures that would help?
    Harrison M.
    motobase8@yahoo.com | 91montero4x4@gmail.com

1989 Festiva Hatchback L 4 spd (project tuner)-33 MPG
    1991 Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 (offroader)-14 MPG
    1971 Datsun 240z (in restoration)
    1966 Ford Falcon (restored)

Driving is a passion.

I know nothing about the 'anomaly 89s' but if they have an 02 sensor then it would be prudent to try to hook it back up. Regulated car manufacturers don't build stuff on to a car for no reason. And I doubt that 02 sensors were an option or accessory at the time.

Comment

the rest of the wire goes to a square plastic plug, ( which should now have a cut wires hanging out)
      He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
      1987 F-250 diesel-powered
      1984 Ironhead Chopper
      1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

Right beside the dip stick, a long fluted white plastic connector attached to the lower end of the bracket with the hole in the top which I assume is for lifting the engine out of the bay.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Im lost, why would a carby have an 02 sensor. They are for EFI cars. I think someone replaced your exhaust pipe with one that had an o2 sensor in it and thats why it is not hooked up. Course I could be wrong. Wife tells me only time I'm right is when i say i am wrong.
          Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
          93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
          01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
            Im lost, why would a carby have an 02 sensor. They are for EFI cars. I think someone replaced your exhaust pipe with one that had an o2 sensor in it and thats why it is not hooked up. Course I could be wrong. Wife tells me only time I'm right is when i say i am wrong.
            It was discribed to me that the answer to why the carbs have the sensors is in the name. Feedback carb. Takes signals to determine what it needs to do. Thus the reasons for the mess of vacume and other random stuff. Unlike a normal carb, which is what we swap on when we switch to the weber.

Disclaimer - I know absolutly nothing about the octopus thing they call the Feedback carb, so I could be full of it. Lol
            Mike Holmgren
            Thief Rvr Fls, MN
            1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
            "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

Thanks Mike for letting me know. Guess your never too old to learn. I never knew carbys had an 02 sensor.
              Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
              93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

No problem, hopefully somebody verifies my info, cause like I said, I could be full of it. lol
                Mike Holmgren
                Thief Rvr Fls, MN
                1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
                "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

Almost all cars sold in the US with carburetors after 1981 have a computer with
                  feedback from o2, temps, tps, baro and vacuum. They use internal electronics
                  like how an injector works to control the fuel mix almost as quick and accurate
                  as injection. The main reason they lost out is the long intake runners coated
                  with liquid fuel had higher emissions. TBI might have been slightly more durable
                  but the big injectors running 4 cylinders were not durable at all compared to PFI.
                  So TBI is a museum piece now too.
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The O2 sensor is used to indicate the amount of unburnt fuel in the exhaust gas which the computer attempts to correct by altering the air/fuel mixture entering the cylinders. The optimal air/fuel ratio for complete combustion is 14.7/1 if I remember correctly. Feel free to look it up. I think on EFI models the computer also advances the timing but not on carburetted models.

My carburetted model has 116k km, original O2 sensor and catalytic converter, and passes the emissions test every 2 years with flying colours. Only problem has been rising NOx which was corrected by cleaning the EGR valve.
                    Last edited by WmWatt; 08-01-2012, 08:51 PM.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I believe the single wire from the O2 sensor is suspended from the top of the front rad support and travels all the way back to the ECU. The wire color is yellow with a green stripe. It terminates at the large center connector of the ECU.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 08-01-2012, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        I know nothing about the 'anomaly 89s' but if they have an 02 sensor then it would be prudent to try to hook it back up. Regulated car manufacturers don't build stuff on to a car for no reason. And I doubt that 02 sensors were an option or accessory at the time.
                        I know that's why I'm trying to see. If your not going to help then why bother.
                        Harrison M.
                        motobase8@yahoo.com | 91montero4x4@gmail.com

1989 Festiva Hatchback L 4 spd (project tuner)-33 MPG
                        1991 Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 (offroader)-14 MPG
                        1971 Datsun 240z (in restoration)
                        1966 Ford Falcon (restored)

Driving is a passion.

Comment

Originally posted by 500dollarfestiva View Post
                          I know that's why I'm trying to see. If your not going to help then why bother.
                          Well said. On my '89 the wire is black on the outside, if you strip off the black there is a shield under the black part. under that is white insulation covering the center conductor which is the part you would hook up if you could find it. Mine goes into a bigger (almost 1/4") black insulation tube. looks like heatshrink tubing. It starts by the passenger side of the radiator and goes up under the brace that goes across the top in front of the radiator with a bunch of other wires. I think it goes over to the driver side of the car from there. If you pul the wire harness out of that brace I'll bet you will find it

Comment

Working...
                          X