Question about secondary circuit on OEM carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about secondary circuit on OEM carb

I have a 89L. I noticed the secondary barrel looked as if it had not opened in a long time. When I tried to move it my hand, it was froze solid. I used carb cleaner on the shaft and down the barrel to remove all the build up. Now I am able to easily move the butterfly plate by hand.

I see the vacuum diaphragm that can move the secondary open. However, I see no other way for it be be opened. No link to the primary at all. Only a steel cam on the primary shaft that forces it closed under about half throttle.

Now finally to the questions. What all should be acting on it? Am i missing a piece? Any ideas on a repair?

Thanks for your time folks.
    Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

The only thing operating the secondary is vacuum. They do stick after sitting a while. WD-40 and chop sticks work wonders freeing the shaft when it sticks. Have a buddy hold the throttle open while you work it so it can be fully opened and closed. I had to work mine over daily for a week. It would stick partly open and bring the idle up to around 2600.

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk.
    Last edited by link5186; 08-01-2012, 10:07 PM.
    91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
    92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
    95 Grand Prix SE DD
    Wife's Stuff:
    89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
    97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
    Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

venturi vacuum in the primary applies vacuum to the diaphram. Ports that can clog
      keep it from opening too fast, as does the mechanical linkage. A conservative driver
      using hyper mileage techniques either intentionally or unintentionally may be
      susceptible to seizure of the secondary. Pull the housing and use a compressed
      air rubber tip blowgun to clear the passages. Flush with canned carb cleaner and
      penetrating oil followed by air. There are better ways if you have tools available
      but this should work!!
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks guys. Just the info I needed.
        Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

The secondary is bumped slightly open by a cam on the primary linkage at half-throttle or so. Then the vacuum takes over. Mine sticks if I lead-foot.

Comment

Working...
          X