No announcement yet.

New distributor, failing to insert.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobstad, since we're all taking wild guesses as to what the underlying issue is, is there any way you could post pictures of the new and old unit side by side? another pair of eyes may be able to decern a missed differance...
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm not a good improviser; unfortunately

Originally posted by Bert View Post
      Month ago I posted a query about the accidental discovery of what looked like a mostly-new B3-compatible dizzy on a 93 B6 16 valve at the U-Pull yard. I haven't tried it but $9.99 including cap and rotor certainly didn't deter me from going right back there the next day to grab it. And now that you're relaying the financial misadventures of buying new it does confirm that some things can double the value of a 20 year old car.
      Perhaps you want to try to tighten a hose clamp over the o-ring of the dizzy overnight or maybe for a shorter spell in the hope the rubber contracts or compresses slightly.
      In any case, good luck
      I'll often come up with some creative seeming solutions, like clever hand fabrications of an original design; though generally I've always relied upon restoration to nearly new, anything which comes in my pathway. With the price of my labor always treated as a learning experience, which pays for the parts and tools; this has proven an adequate if hardly adventurous, and/or artistic philosophy. Unless, as sometimes proves reasonable; being a pauper from the process, counts as "adventure."

The reason has a lot to do with physical disability; for instance, not wanting to get stuck in a lurch if an experiment fails for some reason. Or, having to do something over again; which was all too difficult in the first place. I used to hate when I had a '66 VW Type III, the type characters always belittling me by quoting "four hour" engine pull and replacement time; as a standard if a person couldn't equal, they might as well give up and let someone capable have the resources.

I truly enjoy wrecking yards often times; though there is only one of those here. While, the same rules apply as with other resources; where "belt & suspenders" ends up my modus operandi, as mentioned above. Just the thought of packing around an ever increasing load of possessions, few of which have the intrinsic attraction worth the efforts; makes me blanch when I think of how this creates barriers to creativity.

I'd far more enjoy working over my own and friend's saxophones, clarinets or other musical instruments; and have already established my mechanical skills at that, too. Another nightmare process however; trying to penetrate the reactionary craft guild mentality of the trade; which far more discourages individual initiative and creativity, than auto or bike mechanics, carpentry, etc.
      Last edited by bobstad; 08-11-2012, 07:47 PM.
      '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

I have to keep reminding myself... "If you can't say something nice...."

Comment

I did notice one anomaly; a tag instead of engraved part numbers.

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          Bobstad, since we're all taking wild guesses as to what the underlying issue is, is there any way you could post pictures of the new and old unit side by side? another pair of eyes may be able to decern a missed differance...
          Well, if you've followed closely here; I've proven myself to be the ultimate culprit by trying to put in the new distributor with the off-set rotor shaft key, upside down. One thing which bugs me, is that I thought pulling out the old distributor I'd made sure to note the direction of the off-set. This, now that I think, got ignored; because of the continual conversation of neighbors a few feet from me, sitting in front of their apartment on lawn chairs where they perch at any time of the day past about ten or eleven in the morning.

This is a distracting energy to have to constantly endure; making the work always a long, drawn out procedure capable at any point of tedious mis-attention leading potentially to just such an error as caused me to try to replace the new unit backwards. I distinctly now recall changing the original set-up; feeling the pressuring of this pointed distraction, easy to believe targets me.

I did notice an anomaly on the new unit, that the part numbers are on a poorly attached tag which looks easy to lose; rather than engraved into the metal, as with the old distributor. Making a person imagine an independent factory, building parts for various brands; probably with less quality, though the unit seems passable. The contacts aren't copper or brass in the distributor cap, though not aluminum either; so probably a decent compromise.

I have a cheap digital camera which would probably be okay in strong sunlight; so perhaps when and if I need to replace the 0-ring, I'll take some photos to share.

I'm hardly an adept with this camera however; and as with many of my plethora of possessions I'd need to find something now gone missing to continue, the cord which allows the camera to hook-up to the computer. I've been scouting for that a week now; expecting at any point the next sheaf of paper I turn over, will reveal the thing.
          Last edited by bobstad; 08-11-2012, 08:03 PM.

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

ok, i must have missed that portion. so i take it the dizzy has made it properly onto the engine?
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ta da!

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              ok, i must have missed that portion. so i take it the dizzy has made it properly onto the engine?

Not only that; the car runs too! YIPPIE

What an amazingly defeating procedure, however; thanks entirely to nosey, noisy, next door neighbors here. I job which should've taken an hour, takes days instead.

Intimidation, frequent abusive approaches to draw me into conversations, obvious designs against me here; making even going out the front door a challenge. Life as a hate-crime victim, is beyond the simple tediousness; which has to be the inspiration on the other end.

Comment

Sorry; I keep trying to be outside "arena" ethos

Originally posted by MasterTec View Post
                I have to keep reminding myself... "If you can't say something nice...."
                My paternal grandmother's favorite line, one of them at least. She has proven to be less than creative on many occasions; so I'm holding against favoring the impetus. While having to admit that the whole phenomena is one which seems by design, to want company so to speak. Without a spark, no conflagration; in other words.

If a person were on my end, feeling things as I do; then the process would have better "clarity" which is a bad word to describe an even worse situation here. "There goes the neighborhood" type feelings, lately.

Anyway, I'm enjoying one "arena" expert lately; tenor saxophonist Sue Orfield, playing with the Tiptons Sax Quartet. A fine rhythm and blues soloist, playing exceptionally well; the sort of inspired musicianship which hauls a person back for more, repeatedly.[http://www.sueorfield.com [http://www.tiptonssaxquartet.com
                Last edited by bobstad; 08-11-2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobstad View Post
                  Not only that; the car runs too! YIPPIE
                  Now here is a proverbial and succinct (short and sweet) answer with regard to describing the outcome of a dizzie dilemna.

Comment

^^^^
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

So, how did you set the timing?

Comment

You rock Bobstad!

I'm a man that can't deal with distraction while I work, same as you.

I don't know this for a fact; but I'm willing to bet your nosy, noisy, lawn chair lounging neighbors don't hate you. They probably just want to get to know you a little better.

Congrats on getting the Festiva running.
                        '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Working...
                        X