No announcement yet.

How do I diagnose a bad turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on my mx6 when the turbo went it only smoked on a deceleration like down shifting or riding the gear.
    1991 stiva.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
      Check the pcv. I had a b6t smoke like crazy on me and I thought it was a turbo issue but it was just a pcv valve.
      Very true. Stock B6t check valves are crap. I used one from a mid 90's Honda iirc. Honda check valves are bulletproof. Also, worth noting, the B6t engines in other countries came with catch cans that auto drained into the back of the block. These engines are prone to oil blowing out the crank vent due to the oil squirters under the pistons ( this atomizes the oil as it splashes off the pistons) and the less than adequate oil separator in the valve cover. A small amount of blow by will push oil out. Make sure your catch can vents back to the intake. Mine auto drains back into the block.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 08-16-2012, 03:46 PM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
        Check the pcv. I had a b6t smoke like crazy on me and I thought it was a turbo issue but it was just a pcv valve.
        I put a brand new one on thinking the same thing, no change

Originally posted by daniel_cogar View Post
        on my mx6 when the turbo went it only smoked on a deceleration like down shifting or riding the gear.
        Mine only smokes under acceleration, more so after a hard accel though

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
        Very true. Stock B6t check valves are crap. I used one from a mid 90's Honda iirc. Honda check valves are bulletproof. Also, worth noting, the B6t engines in other countries came with catch cans that auto drained into the back of the block. These engines are prone to oil blowing out the crank vent due to the oil squirters under the pistons ( this atomizes the oil as it splashes off the pistons) and the less than adequate oil separator in the valve cover. A small amount of blow by will push oil out. Make sure your catch can vents back to the intake. Mine auto drains back into the block.
        I'm curious to see your design for the catch can, do you have or can you take any pics?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I'll get some pics this weekend. I used parts of an air compressor dryer that I salvaged from the trash at work. Lol.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I had the same problem with my turbo. i would drive along and it would only smoke a little or not at all but if i got on it then let off without pushing in the clutch and then touched the gas again it would look like on of james bonds cars. I checked the turbo when it was still on the car and it only felt like a little play in it but when i got it off and took the compressor housing off it had worn into the housing and the seals were shot. Screwed my compressor fins up in the process too. so it is somthing to think about.
            93 Festiva L White B6T
            99 Dodge Ram STL Green Cummins. AKA the Jolly Green Giant
            89 Festiva Blue
            91 Green “Mad Maxine” Festiva B6T
            93 Festiva GL Black BP automatic
            93 Festiva GL Green stock

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
              Rotary.
              :headbang:
              Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

:lol: if I had the adapter plate made up, I would try a rotary, but I need to drive this car over the winter so no time for rotary

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

This is some good info, explains a lot of the quirks I've noticed about the B6T
                  1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                  High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                  Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

So many poor rhb5 turbos blamed for oil consumption and rebuilt for no reason, lol. I am going to start a turbocharger rights campaign. I will fight for the equal and fair treatment of all power adders.:p

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                      :lol: if I had the adapter plate made up, I would try a rotary, but I need to drive this car over the winter so no time for rotary
                      Not a good plan with the price of gas being what it is. Driving a rotary every day takes dedication (Okay, so the old first gen Rx7's with a properly tuned carb weren't too bad and the new renesis isn't as horrible, but everything rotary in between is disgustingly thirsty).

Comment

Not a good plan with the price of gas being what it is. Driving a rotary every day takes dedication (Okay, so the old first gen Rx7's with a properly tuned carb weren't too bad and the new renesis isn't as horrible, but everything rotary in between is disgustingly thirsty).
                        I love how the faces randomly show up in words like disgustingly LOL

Comment

And how is a turbo KL any better lol

Comment

Well the 323 is off the road today and I'll have plenty of time to diagnose/repair it

Comment

your seals
                              ;
                              www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
                              rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
                              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
                              '92 Festiva L M/T
                              '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

How much oil pressure is supposed to be supplied to the turbo?
                                If the pressure is too high can it push those kind of seals in and
                                dump oil into the air stream?
                                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                                X