Fuel pump loud whine at acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump loud whine at acceleration

My 93 just developed a very very loud whine from the fuel pump in the tank , it only happens during acceleration and when the tank is more than 3/4 full . No other symptoms , runs great . Car has new fuel filter under hood and 5k on new motor . I used the search but couldnt find an answer . Thanks for any help ... Im guessing just change the pump but thought i would ask .

My walbro 255 wails like a banshee when the fuel gets hot, but is quiet whe the fuel is cold. It runs fine either way, and I've just gotten used to the noise, but it freaks my passengers out sometimes. The stock pump should be quiet all the time, but yours may have broken free of it's bracket and started to vibrate or something. It may not need a new pump, I'd take a look at the bracket and sending unit first. It's a puzzle getting it out, but be patient, you'll get it.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Thanks for the reply . Doesnt seem to matter on the temp , but the noise is very loud - almost annoying like drowning exhaust but more high pitched . I will investigate the bracket . Thank you for the quick response and idea to explore .

Comment

After inspecting the bracket - sending unit all looks tight and in order > The noise is so bad , a bit like letting the air out of a balloon when you pull the end sideways , yet 10 times louder ! The noise is only under load and when tank is above 3/4 full . So nobody has experienced this ? My parts store wants 118 for a new one , guess i will go that route unless someone can offer further advice .

Comment

I got one on ebay for $26. Airtex 8023 I believe. I would carry a rubber mallet until you get it changed.

Comment

Wow thanks for telling me about the $26 pump ! Ok , so what do i thump with the rubber mallet - the tank or the pump ?

Comment

top of the sending unit, only if it dies
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I just bang the bottom of the tank since it's accessable. But if that doesn't work and you're stranded you might have to bang closer to the problem.

Comment

Thanks guys , appreciate the help !

Comment

Originally posted by avitsef View Post
                    After inspecting the bracket - sending unit all looks tight and in order > The noise is so bad , a bit like letting the air out of a balloon when you pull the end sideways , yet 10 times louder ! The noise is only under load and when tank is above 3/4 full . So nobody has experienced this ? My parts store wants 118 for a new one , guess i will go that route unless someone can offer further advice .
                    Could it be a tiny leak on the hose or loose clamp(s)? Maybe you can bench test your pump, clean it as well. I've done it using lacquer thinner on a small container. You'll need a hose to revert the liquid back to the container. Hope this helps.
                    Godspeed...
                    click here for FORD fESTiVA and KIA pride parts - JunSpeed Parts

our humble rides
                    1965 Ford Mustang Coupe 200ci C4 AT (my 1st car, parked on a far island for restoration)
                    93 LX B1 carb sedan (my first festy - SOLD )
                    97 CD5 B3 carb (used to be my DD - SWAPPED)
                    94 LX MAZDA Z5 EFI (gettting roadworthy)

Z200GS 200cc bike (SOLD)
                    95 Lancer Mirage GLXi (wifee's ride - SOLD)
                    97 Lancer Mirage GL carbed 1.5 (Garaged)
                    Kymco K-Pipe 125cc (Garaged)
                    97 Proton Lancer carbed 1.5 (son's DD)
                    2015 Spacestar Mirage 1.2 CVT (my DD)

Comment

Thanks Jun , i replaced the unit with a $26 dollar new ebay pump . Needed the car to be be reliable and the noise was unbelievable . Guess will never know what exactly was going on - appreciate ya checking up on me though !

Comment

Working...
                      X