Code 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code 17

My car has been showing low idle and complete low end no-power issues, especially when cold, for awhile, gradually getting worse. With lots of clutch slipping, and over revving, I can get it rolling, but it's embarrassing. So far I have replaced fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, cap, and rotor. Everything helped a little. I poured a dose of seafoam in the tank and filled it.

In poking around I managed to mess up the original vaf female plug, but I found out a vaf from a 1991 protege seems to swap over without complaint. I can't see how you see the timing marks unless you have eyes on sticks, but I changed the timing "just for fun". Turned the idle up with the idle adjustment screw. Wiggled the wires.

Un plugged the temperature sensor (on the injector side), threw a different code. Un hooked O2, threw no codes. Used the screwdriver stethoscope and the injectors are all clicking.

Drivability is a little better, but CEL comes on, (usually simultaneously with power loss), after about 5 mins on the freeway at 65. Stick in the clutch and rev it, light goes out. It is just about predictable enough to go ahead and try for Festiva Madness.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by qroger; 09-30-2012, 03:22 PM. Reason: confusion

see you at madness, i'll give it a once over.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I appreciate it! I just got a link to Ford trouble codes: http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/88-951325.shtml. That list shows "17" as Oxygen Sensor Voltage. Who knows? It's a relatively cheap fix.
      Looking forward to seeing you!
      roger

Comment

groger, do you have someones number who will be at Madness so we can monitor your progress or perform a rescue if you have a reactor failure?
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Poobah,
          No, I am hoping to use my "judgement" to abort if it looks bad enough. Matthews is not That far from Raleigh, so I could probably self-rescue if necessary. If you want to pm me a #, I could call you with progress. My plan is to come up Saturday morning. My hope is for a mechanical breakthrough this week.
          Thanks,
          roger

Comment

An Internet search on "ECM failure" brings up explinations of what the O2 sensor does and what symptoms you'll see if it's not working. Good luck.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              groger, do you have someones number who will be at Madness so we can monitor your progress or perform a rescue if you have a reactor failure?
              Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              see you at madness, i'll give it a once over.
              This forum has some of the best people on it.
              Must be the humbling effect these little cars have on people.
              Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Communication link data sent via PM.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

You are right

Originally posted by rbrown View Post
                  This forum has some of the best people on it.
                  Must be the humbling effect these little cars have on people.
                  It is a great forum. The level of knowledge and manners is as high as any you will find.

Comment

After much observation... It runs the worst when it's cold. But, when it warms up it throws the 17 code which is the O2 sensor, which Mr. Chilton says indicates fuel or ignition system performance. O2 sensor is sort of frozen in place. I'm going to look at borrowing a socket from the parts place tomorrow.

Comment

Another number, and I should post this on the main thread, is 513-Astro42. That is my google voice number, and it rings through to my phone, so I can put it out there on the net with no fear
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Just to keep track, I replaced the O2 sensor, with no startling changes. I can say that if you have a non AC car, take the grill off and you'll have a lot clearer shot getting a wrench on the sensor.

Comment

IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE! BWAHAHAHAHA! I 1.) replaced the air filter that was dirty, and 2.) noticed some cracks in the molded rubber/plastic hose that runs from the vaf or maf towards the throttle body so I fixed that with E-6000 glue. And, IT'S ALIVE! I had checked with the propane gas, but the cracks were mostly on the bottom of the hose.

Anyway, now I need the upstream hose that's cracked so I will have the courage to take the downstream molded rubber hose off that will reveal the throttle body throat.

Comment

Working...
                          X