heeelllp installed clutch an hope all over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heeelllp installed clutch an hope all over

Hey guys chrisofna came over today an we put a new clutch in my aspire an we got everything back in the car an we went down the street an it felt like my whole front of my car was bouncing like a basket ball quick note broke both front cross member bolts an its holding on buy one of the broken ones. Could this be the entire bouncing problems
    Frankie

fully custom 88 festy (project doomsday) Febuary in 2012 calander
    Blockspire: ken block replica aspire
    AdvancedDynamix: "If you put the same kind of effort into your engine that you put into the rest of the car, well... it'll be epic". thanks man

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000110128487

Translator please!

Comment

Originally posted by frankm201 View Post
      Hey guys chrisofna came over today, and we put a new clutch in my aspire. Once we got everything back in the car we went down the street, and it felt like the whole front of my car was bouncing like a basket ball. Quick note I broke both front cross member bolts and it's holding on buy one of the broken ones. Could this be the entire bouncing problem?
      I think this was what he meant to convey.
      Mike Holmgren
      Thief Rvr Fls, MN
      1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
      "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

Punctuation is your friend, my friend. And yea, I'd bet those bolts is a major part of the prob.
        Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Wow, I'm sorry.
          I have been workin on this car all day an need it to be figured out asap.
          Its my only form of transportation an I can go more than 20 with feeling like I'm in a bad low rider.
          Frankie

AdvancedDynamix: "If you put the same kind of effort into your engine that you put into the rest of the car, well... it'll be epic". thanks man

Comment

The crossmember on my Dad's Festiva sits on the sway bar because the lower rad support rusted out: the crossmember isn't supported at all up front but does not make the car "bounce like a basketball". It does, however, chatter when carrying a few people but I assume that is trouble with the clutch. I have no knowledge of the age or health of his clutch, but adjusting yours is where I would start.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by frankm201 View Post
              Wow, I'm sorry.
              I have been workin on this car all day an need it to be figured out asap.
              Its my only form of transportation an I can go more than 20 with feeling like I'm in a bad low rider.
              if the rear cross member rubbers are worn and/or the trans/engine mounts are shot then yeah, since you have all the weight of the trans and engine sitting on the engine mount and an unsecured cross member.
              1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
              1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
              2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

Well the clucth is in fine if was off alittle the transmission wouldn't slide in all the way so I know that that's good. All the bushing on my car are shot but it did not do this befor i took everything abart. I put in new clutch, pressure plate, release bearing an starter. Without the car moving it doesn't bounce only when driving an the gas pedal is engaged
                Frankie

Comment

Wedge a piece of plywood in between the sway bar and crossmember to see if that fixes it temporarily. You can cut an access in the lower core support to weld new nuts on later.

Comment

By saying "being held by one of the broken ones," am I understanding that to mean that it is partially threaded in, and the entire drivetrain can now " bounce around like a basketball" while it is driving? If so, then yes, that is probably your problem.

I did what georgeb suggested years ago. You *can* cut into the core with a dremel, which allows for more accuracy. Take time and be patient. I cut a hole about 1 1/12 inch wide, and a bit taller than my index finger, just enough to get in there with a nut to replace the one that broke from the weld. Use new bolt and nut. Takes an hour or less. His suggestion for the board would work, but you really should just fix the problem!
                    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Well today I welded the front of the crossmember to the support an it held I d on't know how good the welds are since I only had a 110 outlet I'm hopein this help the problem
                      Frankie

Comment

:banghead:

So, if you need to get it off again, say, if you realize you did something wrong to the clutch, or busted a motor mount, or something like that, how do you plan on doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                          :banghead:

So, if you need to get it off again, say, if you realize you did something wrong to the clutch, or busted a motor mount, or something like that, how do you plan on doing that?
                          Cut the crossmember off, duh!
                          1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
                          1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
                          2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                            Cut the crossmember off, duh!
                            LOL!

With what? A cutting wheel, maybe? One that could be used to cut an access to the core? Which would allow to add bolts? :eeeeeek:

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                              LOL!

With what? A cutting wheel, maybe? One that could be used to cut an access to the core? Which would allow to add bolts? :eeeeeek:
                              lol
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                              X