PCV System Failure? (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on my progress:

I let it sit a day as to collect my thoughts on the matter.

I checked the carb float. It's in the middle of the sight glass cold and off. At idle, the chamber appears to be full of fuel, and the float line was out of view.

After 5 minutes of running it, I shut it off. I ran it with the air cleaner off like in the video. This time, tiny black dots were scattered across a 3 foot radius- the epicenter being the emissions exhaust pipe.

I'm certain now the head gasket has blown. I'm also seeing oil seep from bottom of the timing cover. I'm assuming that's the front crank seal. With all these seals failing after running it only for short spells, I couldn't help at imagine a partially clogged catalytic converter. I took the exhaust off before the cat and warmed it up. Idle dropped and became erratic, but sounded a bit quieter at the engine.

Anyway, before I start replacing head gaskets and the like, I want to run snake oil through it. Could you guys recommend a stop leak in the <$10 category? Oil is still clean. Coolant has gas-like residue, but that could be the rustoleum intake gasket. I believe both oil and coolant are entering the combustion chambers.
    Last edited by purg3d; 11-03-2012, 12:59 PM.

Comment

No video today. Pics will probably be posted at a later time.

Pulled my valve cover today. It literally ran for 30 seconds- long enough to move it closer to the shed.

Oil in valve cover is very sludgy, and very black. However, oil in dipstick is very light in comparison. Seems oil line is too high- and would cause oil to seep in through the valves. Let's hope so. No evidence of water mixed in.

I see 3 oil passages on the head - Intake cyl #3, Exhaust cyl #1 & #4.

Can anyone off-hand tell me where the other drain passages are?

Edit, according to the fsm that's all of them. The supply hole is under the camshaft.

Engine flush and oil change is today. If it works, well.. I'll take a video.
      Last edited by purg3d; 11-08-2012, 10:23 AM.

Comment

It's a celebration today, ladies and gentlemen. I believe I found what could be the source of many of my issues.

Completely my fault, as I assumed everything was "in time" on the donor engine.

As you can see, the timing marks at the cam are lined up...

But what's this? My crank marks aren't even close to the "T".

Double-checked the timing marks on my old engine. I'm about to piss myself from learning so much today.

Would this be an opportune time to replace the leaky front crank seal?

Comment

Ah, the markings are correct for a 93 engine. It's at TDC. Next post will share the results of my [first] head gasket replacement.

Comment

Well, I finally took you guys' advice and rented a compression tester. Here are my results (dry):

#1 195psi
            #2 175psi
            #3 172psi
            #4 179psi

I will post my wet readings momentarily.

Comment

Wet:

#1 255psi
              #2 191psi
              #3 215psi
              #4 211psi

Comment

Working...
              X