Deck prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck prep

What does everyone use on their deck to prep for new gasket? Scotch Brite, 600 wet paper with some WD-40, Hand held Stone with oil? This perticular block I'm doing really has an nasty imprint from the old gasket. Its a crime to put a new head on a deck thats not puuuurfect :nono:
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
    What does everyone use on their deck to prep for new gasket? Scotch Brite, 600 wet paper with some WD-40, Hand held Stone with oil? This perticular block I'm doing really has an nasty imprint from the old gasket. Its a crime to put a new head on a deck thats not puuuurfect :nono:
    ummmm...I am lost with your terminology...
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
      ummmm...I am lost with your terminology...
      The top of the block,gasket surface mating area-how & what do you clean it with

Comment

a razor blade and some break clean, make sure not to gouge. You really shouldn't need to take any abrasive to the deck. You just want to remove the old gasket. There is a rubber fingered bit for a small hand grinder that is also good and does not mark the surface.

Comment

X2 on the razor. Copper sealant FTW.
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I use a wooden block and sandpaper but am careful to not go across the oil restrictor hole. You don't want dirt getting into the oil system going to the head. You can place a little piece of tape on the restrictor to remind you in case you get carried away with your sanding. I give the head gasket a good heavy coating of the spray on copper gasket sealer when installing the head gasket.
            You gonna race that thing?
            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Also judge the surface by feel not by appearance. Sometimes you can see the imprint but you cant feel it in which case it should be ok.

Comment

Xwhatever on the razor blade. I know lots of people use sandpaper, and it's probably fine if you're careful, though some people seem to be scared to death of the idea. Professional head rebuilders among them too.

I've gone as far as using an electric oscillating 1/3 sheet finishing sander on a head(after attaching a piece of plexi shimmed true to ensure a true surface), and it looked GREAT and worked fine, but YMMV.
                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I use a fresh planer blade for a wood plane. They are like a big thick razor blade and can be purchased at home depot in packs of three. Scrape so as not to remove any metal, then the back side of the blade is a good gauge to determine how bad the pitting is. Same thing can be done on the head itself.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I wouldn't use sandpaper or anything else with any kind of little rocks involved anywhere, don't want any of those in my motor and you'll never get them all off. The razor blade idea sounds good if you keep the scrapings out of the bores, put some masking tape sticking up from the bores so the glue can catch stuff,do an especially good scraping in the gasket firering area next to the bores, followed by a good wipe down with brake cleaner. The head gasket itself will compensate for minor imperfections.

Comment

Ok Guys thanks for all the input! I'm "Armed & Dangerous" and will get er done right.I have a soft plastisc wizzy wheel bit that we used on aluminum airplanes that I might gently go over the top of the block with.(I've already used a straight edge razor scraper) But I kinda want a slight polish to it,it really has a "Imprint" of the gasket that looks like it may cause a sealing problem.
                      I'm feeling a little like a Hippie & bought "Lime Green" engine paint for the head. :eeeeeek: (Im a sucker for green) Dont know if I have the balls to paint it that color though drool
                      Last edited by nitrofarm; 10-17-2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Ok Guys thanks for all the input! I'm "Armed & Dangerous" and will get er done right.I have a soft plastisc wizzy wheel bit that we used on aluminum airplanes that I might gently go over the top of the block with.(I've already used a straight edge razor scraper) But I kinda want a slight polish to it,it really has a "Imprint" of the gasket that looks like it may cause a sealing problem.
                        I'm feeling a little like a Hippie & bought "Lime Green" engine paint for the head. :eeeeeek: (Im a sucker for green) Dont know if I have the balls to paint it that color though drool
                        You said balls.
                        Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Why stop with the head? Do the whole car.
                          You gonna race that thing?
                          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

I painted my B3 head many a year ago, and it overheated. I had to take the paint off. Recently, I told Kartracer about it, and he told me I used the wrong kind of paint.

Don't be Paul, make sure you use the right kind of paint!
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                              I painted my B3 head many a year ago, and it overheated. I had to take the paint off. Recently, I told Kartracer about it, and he told me I used the wrong kind of paint.

Don't be Paul, make sure you use the right kind of paint!
                              Really? I know black paint dissipates & white paint retains heat. But what would be the "Wrong" kind of paint? I have the Krylon high temp engine paint?

Comment

Working...
                              X