Engine Not Sounding Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Not Sounding Good

Was pulling into my driveway last night and as I was sitting there idling I noticed that the engine was not sounding very good. There was even like a clicking/ticking sound coming from like under the dashboard. I notice that noise a couple days ago and it seems to coincide with the RPMs.

My engine sounds like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode!! I shot this video in the dark so you can't see anything. Crank up the volume and let me know what you think about my car? Maybe you can tell by the noise what's in need of repair. The exhaust also wasn't sounding real great and there was a stronger smell of oil than usual.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

hard to tell, almost sounds like your throttle piece loose or MAF. Hopefully nothing bad.
    ;
    www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
    rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
    '92 Festiva L M/T
    '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

no rhode, that's a collapsed lifter... i suggest you try a seafoam treatment or 2 before condemning the top end.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        no rhode, that's a collapsed lifter... i suggest you try a seafoam treatment or 2 before condemning the top end.
        In the gas? Oil? Both. I'm due for an oil change pretty soon too.
        -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
        Random Festiva Parts

Comment

Re: Engine Not Sounding Good

I'd say oil, and the next time you change your oil after this one, add STP Oil Treatment (zinc).
          Last edited by DriverOne; 11-20-2012, 12:58 PM.
          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

yes to both previous posts.... the STP treatment is something everyone should be using in their festys OR a quart of Rotella in place of a standard quart.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Sounds tasty. I think i need to do that next oil change.
              ;
              www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
              rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
              '92 Festiva L M/T
              '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
                Was pulling into my driveway last night and as I was sitting there idling I noticed that the engine was not sounding very good. There was even like a clicking/ticking sound coming from like under the dashboard. I notice that noise a couple days ago and it seems to coincide with the RPMs.

My engine sounds like a ticking time bomb waiting to explode!! I shot this video in the dark so you can't see anything. Crank up the volume and let me know what you think about my car? Maybe you can tell by the noise what's in need of repair. The exhaust also wasn't sounding real great and there was a stronger smell of oil than usual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtvxmYlJQcM
                Prafeston:

I had the same problem/sound about 2 years ago - all it is is one of the rocker arms (I believe they are called) is loose/broke. I took my valve cover off, thus exposing all 8 of the rocker arms and began to push on them you will be able to find the loose one (at least I did). I went up to a junkyard and bought all 8 rocker arms from them, and I replaced the loose one with the ones from the yard. The sound went away and I have put at least 50k on it since. I have a 7 more rocker arms too if your interested. Let me know if you have any questions, but do not fear - its nothing major (at least mine wasn't)!
                Matt
                -96 Aspire - 175k miles
                -93 F150 XLT - 109k miles
                -13 Focus SE - 7k miles

Comment

I'm not cognizant of the benefits of 'roller rockers' versus whatever is standard fare on Festys but now may be the time to switch to Aspire rocker arm and cam components. Exactly the same engine but later B3s (according to Wikipedia Mazda B-series engines) are supposed to put out 70+ hp instead of the 63 EFI and 58 carbed.

Comment

not true about the power output, still 63hp... the issue isn't the rockers, it's the lash adjusters ON the rockers and typicaly it's due to blocked passages IN the rockers to the adjusters. SO, if you remove the rockers and throw them in an ultrasonic cleaner, you should be back in buisness in a matter of a few hours.

Comment

How bad is it on the engine to keep driving as is? I'm not sure when I'll get the time to tackle this project. I did shoot another video from inside the car driving in 4th and 3rd gear. You can hear the ticking from under the dash. Drove the car to work today. It seems to run fine despite sounding like it's going to blow up at any minute!
                      video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

I think I'm starting to leak a bit more oil too...not sure from where, but the spot I park the car in the driveway is getting more stains!
                      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                      Random Festiva Parts

Comment

They usually last pretty good with lifter click, but if you are ignoring that
                        what else are you sliding on ?

You let this go and that go and pretty soon you will be saying " it costs too
                        much to fix" or you go buy a new car..
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yeah, since I bought it so cheap I've probably been slacking on some things that should be done. But I really don't have the time to do a lot of it...also I'm lazy! With the cold coming and no garage to work in I'm kind of out of luck. First thing I still need to work on is getting the blower motor working...or just replacing it.
                          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                          Random Festiva Parts

Comment

When the sno-cat breaks out on the sub zero wind swept flanks of Mt Scott I bungee tarps
                            around it and lay tarps down to lay on then crawl in! If its really windy I shovel snow around
                            the bottom until things stay put. The best part is snow reflects light everywhere so you can
                            see pretty good! When its cold nothing drips on you..You are lucky you could stretch the repairs
                            to the best time of year!
                            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Re: Engine Not Sounding Good

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                              When the sno-cat breaks out on the sub zero wind swept flanks of Mt Scott I bungee tarps
                              around it and lay tarps down to lay on then crawl in! If its really windy I shovel snow around
                              the bottom until things stay put. The best part is snow reflects light everywhere so you can
                              see pretty good! When its cold nothing drips on you..You are lucky you could stretch the repairs
                              to the best time of year!
                              My advice only adds to what Movin posted. Go to Walmart and pick up a 10x10' quick-up shelter. They're less than $100, and could be even cheaper since the demand for them just about hit the floor. They're sold with the camping supplies. Pick up two HF 10x20' and one 8x10' tarps, two clip lamps, some 30" bungees, and some cheap HF clamps. Connect the two large tarps together, and center the seam to the rear. This wraps 3 "walls" with extensions to bungee around the car. The smaller tarp connects to the front of the shelter and lays down over the car. Clip the lamps above you, and stick a ceramic heater in the corner. When you're finished, your whole "garage" is entirely collapsible and will fit in a closet. No rain, no cold, no problem.
                              Last edited by DriverOne; 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM.
                              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                              X