It just dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just dies

So we went out of town for a couple days for Thanksgiving. Temps were up when we left had been driving the car no issues whatsoever. I put it in the garage before we left even. Temps dropped while we were gone and when I went to pull it out of the garage it didn't want to start. It finally did but then immediately died. I finally got it to start just enough to back it about 5 feet. It will just crank and not fire then every once in a while it will hit and then immediately die. Anybody have any ideas. I just changed the wires, cap and rotor about a month ago on it. Usually when its cold it will start then die but then start right up again. I need to get it figured out asap because we are down 1 car already after hitting a deer.
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Alright little update. Went out and messed with it some I got to thinking maybe the battery is just quitting it and it needs more CCAs. So I hooked my truck up to it and it fired right up was running smooth and I unhooked the truck then as I was unhooking the car it died. So I hooked it back up and it started then died. Did this again and I put it to the floor when it started to try and clean out an obstruction if it had one. It went wide open then died. Tried to start it back up but it wouldn't start. So I got the book out checked the coil connections all good there. Just not sure whats going on here.

Comment

It sounds fuel related. Check your fuel pressure
      Buck.
      -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
      -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
      -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Wouldn't it have been doing some acting up if it was a pressure issue though? It ran totally fine when I drive it home Wednesday and when I pulled it in the garage on Friday morning. How do you check the pressure? Looking at the book I don't see the port that they are showing on mine.

Comment

Come on boys somebody has got to have some ideas to figure this out.

Comment

It just dies

Might sound like an obvious question, did your belt go flying off?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I can toss a whole list of ideas out but you need to figure out what is missing when it dies.
              Maybe pull the alternator and take it in and have it bench tested, if it passes then hook a fuel pressure tester in line, put a spark checker inline with a plug as well. Fire it up and when it dies see which is missing.
              Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
              1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

I just went out and I have a good solid stream running into the fuel filter and the same stream running out of it. So that eliminates the pump and filter. I hooked it back up and it fired right up and ran as smooth as could be for about 15 seconds then it just dies like you shut the key off. I get no sputter or anything its just like you flat turned the key off. The alternator is new in the last 6 months and the battery still has charge so that shouldn't be doing it. New plug wires, rotor and dist cap as well. Which is what has me confused. If I was getting absolutely nothing that is one thing but the way it will start right up after its been left set is weird to me.
                Last edited by crusher773; 11-25-2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Ok so I also have good fuel at the rail. I pulled a wire at the dist and got no spark there. I pulled a plug and I got spark at the plug and a shock and it tried to start. I put the plug back in it started ran perfect for 15 seconds again then died. Pulled the plug back out and checked it again and I go no spark that go around. So I think its either the ignition module or coil because it is getting inconsistent spark it seems.

Comment

You are heading in the right direction. For intermittent problems swapping in a known good part makes
                    figuring things out easier.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yeah I wish I had an extra module or coil laying around. I am pretty sure I tossed a module that I though was a bad a while back. I haven't had to replace the coil though. I guess I'll buy both tomorrow and figure it out. Which one should I try first you think? That module is less than 2 years old.

Comment

Now the question is too. Do I just order 1 of each from Oreilly and get a lifetime warranty or do I order 2 of each off ebay for cheaper than 1 at Oreilly and just keep a spare of each in the car? How has the luck been with the cheap ones?

Comment

A coil breaking down can cause the failure of the module as well.
                          Kind of a good idea to do both together, good thinking !
                          If you can get lifetime ..awesome! Keep the receipt in the car!
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

So I got the coil put it on. Same thing no change. Jumped it with the truck and it ran for about 20 seconds or so then quit. Still waiting on the module.

Comment

Alright another update. I had pushed it kind of out of the driveway but needed it moved so I could get the other vehicles in and out. So I went to move it and it started right up. Moved it and it ran for about 30 seconds. Before it died the RPMs dropped and then came back up then dropped again and came back up and then it died. Anyone ever have symptoms like this. New coil is on still waiting for the module to come. I just want to get it going quick driving my truck is eating me up in fuel.

Comment

Working...
                              X