Charge Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge Light

My recently retagged but old '93's charging light came on last night. Made it home. Voltage does not increase with RPMs. Anything else to check while it's on the car? Also I have a spare serpentine belt alt. Do the pulleys interchange? Which direction are the threads?

Some places test alternators for free.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The pulleys are NOT interchangeable. The serpentine one has a bigger shaft.

Comment

Take alternator off car and take it to Autozone and they will put it on a bench and check it. If alt not working right, I would not drive car up there if its not charging battery.
        Last edited by milehighbear; 01-05-2013, 07:00 PM.
        Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
        93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Id make sure to pb blast and wire brush the battery terminals and wire ends really good before I go to too much trouble. My buddys s10 had been giving him problems, he swapped alternators and the light kept comming on. The battery is almost 10 years old and he was going to change it until I cleaned the terminals, they didn't look dirty or corroded at all, but its been working fine for almost a year now.

I don't know where you got that 4 rib belt pulley but I've put an aspire pulley on a bg chassis (70 amp) alternator without an issue.
          Last edited by zoom zoom; 01-05-2013, 07:11 PM.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
          X