No announcement yet.

92 festiva sputtering at 60 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other ideas Could be ignition control module? (you have replaced most of the ignition components..the ignition module can cause luts of quirky symptoms), burnt valve ?(has high miles any prior head work?)
    Does it have a tac? Can you say what rpm the skipping starts at?

Comment

hi thanks for info and assistance. it just sputters at 55 to 60 mph not under load. it has no tach so i dont know about rpm issue. i had head rebuilt last year shaved and all new valves in it . idles smooth

Comment

92 festiva sputtering

it will start off in the morning fine. i get approx 15 miles from home or from work and thats when it throws fit. also SOMETIMES in the morning it starts and dies couple times before it it finally takes off. and also when i slow down and clutch it to change gears it wants to idle up and down. like a vacuum leak. but i have sprayed choke cleaner all over intake lookin for leaks and found none.

Comment

Anyone else had issues similar to this when the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor wire became disconnected or the sensor went bad?

Comment

15 miles at 60mph , you must live where it is somewhat warm. Senors and all leaks, stuff like that should be stable before that.

Modules, computers are starting to heat by then. Relays and connectors could be reaching critical by then if they are burning out. Wiggle test things, after 15 miles, pull over and check out at idle.

Cruise only problem would eliminate air flow, fuel flow and exhaust flow problems. Including vacuum leaks..given exactly what you have told us.

No other symptoms..smoking, smells, noises ??
            stated fuel pressure remains stable? No check engine?

Canister problems can inject to much extra fuel, unhook and drive. Prolonged sputtering should cause check engine light. Two electronic devises that are very poor at tattling on themselves with a check engine light are the air flow sensor and the computer. If you were going to try swapping other used known good parts I would start with those two.

Moisture build up in the engine oil can start to boil about then and cause problems, diverting PCV vent and PCV will allow test driving for this problem.

Narrow things down a little and you will pin the problem.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Had the same prob. Did it for about 4-5 weeks. Then the fuel pump went out on me. Did not want to start some times. Sputtered on the highway. Can't recall how fast I was going.

Comment

Working...
              X