Rough idle & dies, poor acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough idle & dies, poor acceleration

Freebird needs help! She's suddenly idling really rough (sometimes not at all) before dying after the engine is turned. If I pump the gas, or keep my foot down on the gas with my right and break with my left, the engine won't die. She's not getting much speed when I accelerate, and either my alternator belt is on too tight or the RPMs are really high when I accelerate; it's making an awful high pitched whirring sound. I'm afraid to push the car past second gear into third.. I'm not sure if these two issues are separate or have something to do with each other.. My thought is that it's the O2 sensor, but it could also be a split or loose vacuum line... Any suggestions on troubleshooting the issue? Thanks in advance!

year? if it's an EFI car, first thing to look at is the tube between the filter and the throtle body, if theres a crack or hole, fix it. next would be look at the ignition system (all of it). then move on to the fuel system (filter, pick-up sock, line pressure).
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Re: Rough idle & dies, poor acceleration

My thoughts: This happened almost directly after she fuelled up the last time. Is it possible bad fuel could play a part in this?

The car is an '89 auto.
      Last edited by DriverOne; 01-16-2013, 07:36 AM.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

bad fuel be a culprit? absolutely.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm guessing it's bad fuel, too. Just wish I'd had time to take a look at 'er before I had to send her to the shop. That's the misfortune of car trouble to a daily driver vehicle. I'll know by tomorrow's end what happened.

Comment

Bad gasket and hose on the intake. Also the timing needs to be adjusted. That's gonna happen tomorrow.

Comment

SEAFOAM IT!
              Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
              Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
              Highway - 7.32L/100km
              City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Working...
              X