No announcement yet.

OBD II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, you guys are mixing up OBD and the PCM.

First, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module, sometimes incorrectly called an ECM, ECU or ECA) is the module that controls the engine, emissions devices, and sometimes transmission. There are multiple different variations of PCMs, depending on the manufacturer and year. Some are reprogrammable, some are not.

OBD stands for OnBoard Diagnostics, generation I or generation II (and now II Enhanced). OBD is simply a set of rules and strategies that the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the federal government have agreed upon, to monitor engine condition and vehicle emissions. OBDI was implemented for the 1988 model year, and dictated that a warning lamp must be illuminated if any vehicle emission control failed. OBDII was implemented for the 1996 model year, and dictated that the warning lamp must illuminate not just for a failure, but if any condition causes the vehicle emissions to exceed 1.5 times the permitted level, and must monitor the integrity of all emission related systems for a minimum of 10 years or 100k miles. This is why sensor terminals on OBDII cars are gold plated. OBDII standards are universal for all vehicles sold in the United States, but each manufacturer has the freedom to decide how they will meet those standards. That means every brand's sensors, actuators, computers and software are different.
    Last edited by FB71; 01-20-2013, 12:11 AM.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

That makes sense. I don't think (in the case of Ford) that reprogramming via the diagnostic port with a strategy tuner was possible until the OBD-II generation. Wasn't that called EEK-IV then EEK-V?
      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Ford's powertrain management systems were called Electronic Engine Control (EEC). EEC-I was in 1977 and 78 on the Lincoln Mk. It had 7 inputs and 4 outputs, and primarily controlled air/fuel mix at idle and steady state cruise. EEC-II and III only lasted to 1983. In there, somewhere, Ford also introduced MCU (Motor Control Unit) for heavy duty carbed applications. Starting in 1984, Ford introduced EEC-IV, one of the most durable and successful engine control systems ever produced. Ford made it OBDI compliant in 1987 for the '88 model year. Until 1990, it only produced 2 digit diagnostic codes, and did not have any data stream. Beginning in 1990, Ford gradually introduced 3 digit codes and data stream (only readable by a $65k Service Bay Diagnostic System or SBDS). In 1994, on the 4.6L T-Bird and 3.8L Mustang, EEC-V with OBDII was piloted. They were still not able to be reprogrammed. That feature began sometime in '97 or '98, don't exactly recall. OBDIIe started in the mid 2000s, with the introduction of the PowerPC and Oak-series PCMs, which have superceeded the EEC series PCMs.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
          Ford introduced EEC-IV, one of the most durable (...) engine control systems ever produced.
          And this marks the first time I've ever disagreed with you. Every EEC-IV system I've ever dealt with has been flaky, finicky and in one case (My own '88 F150) downright hateful. That said, the brief (1.5 year IIRC) year appearance of the EEC-IV/Mass air combination did work pretty well.

Also, worth noting that not all OBDII Brakeswaps had EGR. My dad's '96 Aspire is OBD2, and I can say with absolute certainty there is no EGR on that bad boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommychu View Post
            And this marks the first time I've ever disagreed with you. Every EEC-IV system I've ever dealt with has been flaky, finicky and in one case (My own '88 F150) downright hateful. That said, the brief (1.5 year IIRC) year appearance of the EEC-IV/Mass air combination did work pretty well.

Also, worth noting that not all OBDII Brakeswaps had EGR. My dad's '96 Aspire is OBD2, and I can say with absolute certainty there is no EGR on that bad boy.
            Yes, fortunately they made it easy to replace!
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

OBD II

Originally posted by Powerstiva View Post
              Ok, well i guess im confussed. How do i tell what i already have?...
              If you can't answer that for yourself, do you really think you should be trying to take on this kind of electrical job? I'd hate to see your car get scrapped because you can't figure out the wiring

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I have a 1996 ford aspire and it has egr....

what's an obdII brakeswap, and its relation to the EGR?
                Last edited by rmoltis; 01-20-2013, 11:26 AM.
                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                  I have a 1996 ford aspire and it has egr....

what's an obdII brakeswap, and its relation to the EGR?
                  Brakeswap=Aspire. A lot of guys here think that the brake swap is all those cars are good for. While I disagree personally, the nickname stuck for me.

Comment

Have to agree with Damkid here, if you are asking these questions. You are not ready to tackle this.......

Comment

I've worked on literally thosands of vehicles with EEC-IV. I've only ever encountered a handful with bizzarre problems. Also, MAF was introduced on EEC-IV systems in 1988 in CA, '89 in the rest of the country, and lasted until the end of EEC-IV in '96. Trucks only saw MAF in '96, but they were EEC-V

EGR on the Aspire depended on the emissions cal.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Working...
                      X