cv boot replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cv boot replacement

So my cv boot is starting to go bad (no clicking, but my visual inspection shows cracks so replacement should be before the whole thing goes bad). I have had a lot of people tell me to just replace the entire CV axle because its a lot easier and cheaper. I have been looking up videos because I want to learn how to do this myself. Its a 91 manual trans axle and all the videos that I have found all do half shafts and I would like to learn how about the boot itself not the shaft. Are there any videos that could help me out? To replace just the outer boots do I need to worry about the ball joints inside the outer boots? or is it simple as my book makes me feel and I just slip it off once im there and then clean it, pack it, and put it on? When I do this should I worry about trans axle fluid? Or will this not leak at all? The inner boots look really good, and some people are against using the pickle fork, whats the word around here? I have access to all the tools and I have a friend who is a mechanic, he wants me to learn this myself and he said he would watch me, so I have his garage with his tools available. Are there any hints tips or tricks that you can share?

And also when I get it taken off and I go to clean the old grease, what process should I use to clean the joint itself? Do I need to take the whole thing apart and clean it? If so is there any videos to help? I am a visual learner, but I can follow instructions well if they are detailed enough.

Thanks for all your help
    Last edited by Jacob; 02-24-2013, 11:08 PM.

Dont mean to be a @!*# but just replace the axle. Replace boots on your Rack,but on axles? PITA for what? A Reman axle cost's @ $80.00 & comes with new boots,nut,grease, warranty & piece of mind. Plus you get to put clean oil in your transaxle. Win Win situation IMO. :thumbs_up:
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

If you have more time than money you can just replace the boot. It involves removing the inner joint and sliding the new boot on from that side. If a boot is $20 and an entire axle is $60, it's hardly worth it. Plus you can have a good spare axle.

Comment

Plus if this is about learning about your car. Replacing the axle will teach you more.

Comment

I have done boot only a few times , rockauto has beck/arnley boot for $11.69 shipping $3-5 .I find it worth my time .it only takes me a few more mins. Just my opinion.
          Only a few and the proud drive Festivas !

Comment

okay so replacing the whole axle is that going to be easier too? I am not to worried about the money cause i plan to keep the car for a long time, but I am looking to save a penny where ever I can.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
              If you have more time than money you can just replace the boot. It involves removing the inner joint and sliding the new boot on from that side. If a boot is $20 and an entire axle is $60, it's hardly worth it. Plus you can have a good spare axle.
              No it doesn't. I've replaced CV boots. You have to remove the hub and old boot, then a sharp smack on the CV separates it. The new boot comes with grease and clips. No need to remove the drive shaft from the transmission if you're canny about it.

Comment

There are some places that will rebuild your axle. I had both axles done in the Shadow once for $60 for the pair. Came back clean and with new boots.
                1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                X