Speedo calibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo calibration

Is there a reliable method to recalibrate the speedo?
    Different drive gear?
    Mess with cluster?
    HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
    "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

bump. I too would be interested in this info! Does your speedo run too fast or too slow huli?

Comment

Bigger tires is too slow, and makes fuel economy calculations bite. I don't know of any plastic gears to change the ratio. Even the the aspire is almost the same . There may be some mazda parts that come off of cars with 15 inch wheels, but have not looked into to it, I use a GPS.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Mine is indicating too slow, by about 12%. I am looking into taking the gear off of an aspire and affixing it to my sending unit. May not be the best method.

I hope to hear there is a direct replacement part.
        HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
        "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Would be nice my is to fast 5 mph.
          ;
          www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
          rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
          '92 Festiva L M/T
          '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Originally posted by Huli View Post
            Mine is indicating too slow, by about 12%. I am looking into taking the gear off of an aspire and affixing it to my sending unit. May not be the best method.

I hope to hear there is a direct replacement part.
            I'm not sure about replacements but my last festiva also read 12% high vs my gps.
            My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

According to GPS speed, my speedo is running a bit fast, about 3-4MPH fast.
              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Looks to me this is a universal problem!

Is there anyone who knows a way to adjust the speedometer?

Can it be done in the dash?

Replace the gear in the transmission?

NOS part?
                "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

I am also interested in this.

Comment

ill deffently need mine redone after i get my mudder tires on the frount
                    1993 festy "white stallion" BP swap with 7" lift, 1ton wench
                    R.I.P. 1991 festy "the festiva" stock b3, atv bumper, 8' whip

Comment

AFAIK, there is no solution to this that is easy or economical. I'm searching for the right gears to make a gear reduction box. Basically, I'd cut the housing that bolts to the tranny in half and mount one end to the bottom of the box and the other to the removable top of the box. You could take the box apart and swap out gears to correct for your tire size.

That being said, the easist way would be to change your tire size to correct for a particular speed that you run as just changing tires isn't linear.
                      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                      2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Might be easier to find a source for correct pitch plastic gears and just epoxy them on the stock shaft.

I already have a 20T... just not off the old shaft yet. Should be about 10% fix
                        "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

I googled speedo calibration and came up with some results here in the UK, like this: http://www.jdo1.com/Speedometers.html

You'd think there'd be equivalent companies in the US.

Comment

Sent them an email with group buy request!!!!
                            "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

They don't do american cars... as if that matters. Probably more festivas on the road in UK then here
                              "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

Working...
                              X