transmission noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission noise

I just started driving home from work and the transmission is making a rubbing/scratching noise only when under a load... noise goes away going down hill. Please advise

Where do you check/add transmission gear oil? It is a 5 speed
    Last edited by DaleInTN; 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM.

10mm nut on the speedometer drive gear on the back of the transmission, wiggle the tab back and forth until the gear pops out of the transmission, don't force it you'll break it.
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-03-2013, 07:10 PM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Also , there is a vibration when it is making the noise

Comment

I'm thinking that when it is under load, it is torquing a bit and rubbing against something. Look around in the engine bay and under the car to see if you can see any rubbing. May be a broken motor or tranny mount for example.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I have heard noise like that before and it ended up being my alternator grinding.
          ;
          www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
          rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
          '92 Festiva L M/T
          '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Well, I made it home but definitely think it is the transmission!

Which is a better manual, the Ford or Haynes?

Comment

ford FSM FTW
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

What does Ford FSM FTW mean?

Comment

Originally posted by DaleInTN View Post
                  What does Ford FSM FTW mean?
                  Ford Field Service Manual for the win. But get the Haynes too, at any McParts store.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Could a bad CV joint/axle make noises like this?

Comment

yes.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

UPDATE****Jacked it up, took front tires off, cranked it up, put it in gear and let out on the clutch. Left front hub barely moving, actually I can hold it still while the car is in gear idling. Any ideas what this could be?

Comment

^ that's the open diff working.... totaly normal.

Comment

Working...
                          X